Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2016/02/15 11:42:32 UTC

Any thoughts on git?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone of you:

- is using git already (I do in some projects)
- is following how git is being used at Apache (I know it's being used by projects, but didn't follow in detail)
- has considered proposing to use git for Apache UIMA
- has any ideas if/how to accept pull requests that people might file against the SVN mirrors we have on Github

I'm not proposing any action, just trying to get a feeling for this.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Any thoughts on git?

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

I am a full time Git user and I like it quite much.
A few ASF projects I'm involved with are already using Git and, as far as I
can see, the main discussion arguments (e.g. on the Lucene lists) have been
around fast-forwards / merge / rebase operations in GIt (I can point to the
exact discussions if needed) but no specific discussions (other than "let's
switch to git") fired up in other projects (e.g. Hama, Clerezza).
I am still looking on how well Git work in practice for OSS projects with
large communities, where config options are not enforced (e.g. perform
rebase or not by default) but in general it seems to be doing good.
Regarding accepting pull requests I am sure there's something in place
provided by ASF Infra, I do not have the link at hand now but we can surely
ask on infrastructure@.

My 2 cents,
Tommaso