Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Marnix Bindels <ma...@chess.nl> on 2007/11/06 13:56:10 UTC

[T4] Log4J configuration outside of WAR

Hi All,

I'd like to my web app to initialize the Log4J system using a log4j.xml
file for which the location will be specified at server startup. In
previous projects, using spring, this proved to be easily done by
including some Log4jWebConfigurer instance. It's setup to refer to
${my-app.config.dir}/log4j.xml and there you go. Does a HiveMind
equivalent exist?

I've investigated HiveUtils giving me plain old properties files under
HiveMind (thank you!) and a trapdoor to log4j.xml on  some absolute path
location. The first is by adding a PropertyFileSources element to the
hivermodule.xml and the second by adding a LoggingInitListener to the
web.xml. However, I get the feeling that having the exact runtime path
determined by a system property my-app.config.dir is not going to be
achieved by these two. Or can it?

This is as far as I got in trying to solve my quest, being:
    - I'd keep app.properties and log4j.xml in directory
C:\app\conf\production\
    - maybe I keep similar but different sets in conf\test-local and
conf\...
    - before Tomcat startup, I add
my-app.config.dir=C:\app\conf\production\ to the JAVA _OPTS env. setting

I'd be interested to hear from you,

Marnix