Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2004/03/27 14:38:01 UTC

brutus.apache.org status

Current status:

A minimal network install of Debian testing [1] was made on one of the
new IBM xSeries 345 machines.  Being minimal, this kernel does not yet
recognize the second CPU or second Gig, but my first focus is to get the
box up and running.  Once running, I plan to attempt to replicate this
on other operating systems (in particular FreeBSD) for comparison
purposes.  Once we have had a chance to evaluate the alternatives, the
plan is to settle down to a single machine, possibly with a completely
different OS than what is currently installed on brutus, and that
machine will be called brutus (it likely will be the same physical
machine, but that's not important either).

The key point is: don't get too comfortable, as things may change.

  - - -

To date, I have installed the following via apt-get: sudo, apache,
python, and cvs.  In addition, I have installed Sun's j2sdk1.4.2_04.

I created a user called 'gump' and sent the instructions on where to
find the password to dims, leosimons, and ajack.  Once this machine is
fully set up, the plan is to make this a public resource for Apache
committers with a desire to participate, but initially it makes sense to
keep the list small to minimize stepping on one another's work.

I've followed the /usr/local/gump directory structure pattern that I
found in place on moof, though I did place packages on a separate hard
drive, and created a convenient symbolic link to public from /home/gump.

I also copied and updated the /usr/local/gump/README from Moof.  I
created the 'public' flavour, checked out GUMP, created a brutus.xml
workspace, and tried to run the first tests.  python gump/check.py
failed as follows:

>   File "/usr/local/gump/public/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line 181, in getFloat
>     if self.db.has_key(key): val=self.db[key]
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py", line 142, in has_key
>     return self.db.has_key(key)
> TypeError: String or Integer object expected for key, unicode found

An easy fix for this would be to add "key=str(key)" immediately before
this line, and in other similar methods.  It might be preferable to do
this upstream (like when the string is read).

I have not yet proceeded to step 8 which involves forrest.  If the
consensus is that we want to replace this with a Python solution, I can
invest the time to make that happen.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>It's not all that scary.  I've updated .bash_profile to contain the ...
>
> Not scared, just my *nix knowledge is not "borne again". ;-)
>
>>following lines:
>>
>>   export FORREST_HOME=/usr/local/gump/forrest
>>   export PATH=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin
>
> I'll move the stuff at /usr/local/gump/public/gump/local-env-py-brutus.py in
> there, and try the hup command below, thanks.

Note that the nohup command will benifit from you updating .bash_profile
(presuming that you log off and back on), but cron will NOT.

> Thanks for that. I think the last root/admin task we need (which I'd
> forgotten earlier, sorry) is for the 'svn' client to be installed/available.

Done.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Capturing for posterity (don't worry if it doesn't make sense to you)

   apt-get install apache htdate cvs python subversion sudo vim

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> It's not all that scary.  I've updated .bash_profile to contain the ...

Not scared, just my *nix knowledge is not "borne again". ;-)

> following lines:
>
>    export FORREST_HOME=/usr/local/gump/forrest
>    export PATH=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin

I'll move the stuff at /usr/local/gump/public/gump/local-env-py-brutus.py in
there, and try the hup command below, thanks.

> > BTW: Don't take this as me being intransigent and not open to moving
away
> > from forrest, this is just for here and now. I personally think we need
> > make forrest work for us (I want SVGs) but I think we can remove it as a
> > mandatory requirement for HTML sites.
>
> Pre-forrest, this was done via ant and batik:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/site/Attic/build.xml?rev=1.6&view=markup

I hear forrest has the same, from the same, so if we go a forrest/cocoon
webapp (for those that want it), we can do this.

> This was also done as a part of the gump run, so it was using the latest
> ant, batik, etc.  Seemed only fair.

Yup, I'm a big fan of that. Sadly forrest has such huge dependencies it
hasn't been built in a while. Further, if we move the forrest call out of
being inlined, then we loose this chance anyway.

> > Since I've not had much fun running gumpy.py in background (when I hang
up,
> > it dies) -- and because I need the forrest env variables I am adding
this
> > crontab entry:
>
> try:
>
>    nohup python gumppy.py &

Thanks, good and basic.

FWIIW: I asked Python to catch signal.SIGHUP, but either it isn't geing
registered (I think this is likely, I'm not ever sure there is such a
variable even on *nix Python) or it isn't working.

> > Next steps (assuming this above all works) ought be to modify HTTPD
> > configuration to point to the results in /usr/local/gump/public/results.
> > Anybody game to take these on?
>
> What url do you want to map to that directory?  For now, I've mapped
>
> http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/

Thanks for that. I think the last root/admin task we need (which I'd
forgotten earlier, sorry) is for the 'svn' client to be installed/available.

regards,

Adam

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> We really need somebody to place these local information into a .bashrc or
> .profile (or wherever) so FORREST_HOME is picked up by a python script.
> However, I'm not that guy -- I am too out of touch with such things.

It's not all that scary.  I've updated .bash_profile to contain the
following lines:

   export FORREST_HOME=/usr/local/gump/forrest
   export PATH=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin:$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin

> BTW: Don't take this as me being intransigent and not open to moving away
> from forrest, this is just for here and now. I personally think we need to
> make forrest work for us (I want SVGs) but I think we can remove it as a
> mandatory requirement for HTML sites.

Pre-forrest, this was done via ant and batik:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/site/Attic/build.xml?rev=1.6&view=markup

This was also done as a part of the gump run, so it was using the latest
ant, batik, etc.  Seemed only fair.

> Since I've not had much fun running gumpy.py in background (when I hang up,
> it dies) -- and because I need the forrest env variables I am adding this
> crontab entry:

try:

   nohup python gumppy.py &

> Next steps (assuming this above all works) ought be to modify HTTPD
> configuration to point to the results in /usr/local/gump/public/results.
> Anybody game to take these on?

What url do you want to map to that directory?  For now, I've mapped

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/

But this can be easily changed.

- Sam Ruby

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> I also copied and updated the /usr/local/gump/README from Moof.

I've updated it to comment out what has not been done (i.e. step #12).

Since 'hostname' returns brutus not brutus.apache.org (more like moof does)
I've edited the README to say the workspace file is brutus.xml.

> I have not yet proceeded to step 8 which involves forrest.  If the
> consensus is that we want to replace this with a Python solution, I can
> invest the time to make that happen.

I've checked-out forrest (/usr/local/gump/xml-forrest) and copied the
install into (for want of a better place) /usr/local/gump/forrest. I've
created a local-env-py-brutus.sh, that sets FORREST_HOME and adds FORREST to
the path.

We really need somebody to place these local information into a .bashrc or
.profile (or wherever) so FORREST_HOME is picked up by a python script.
However, I'm not that guy -- I am too out of touch with such things.

BTW: Don't take this as me being intransigent and not open to moving away
from forrest, this is just for here and now. I personally think we need to
make forrest work for us (I want SVGs) but I think we can remove it as a
mandatory requirement for HTML sites.

Since I've not had much fun running gumpy.py in background (when I hang up,
it dies) -- and because I need the forrest env variables I am adding this
crontab entry:

0 0 * * * cd /usr/local/gump/public/gump; /bin/bash gumpy.sh

Not the one I'd prefer:

0 0 * * * cd /usr/local/gump/public/gump; /usr/bin/python gumpy.py

I've kicked off a Gump run on brutus.

Next steps (assuming this above all works) ought be to modify HTTPD
configuration to point to the results in /usr/local/gump/public/results.
Anybody game to take these on?

regards

Adam

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> Sam, is it different levels of Python that cause this, or OS, or DBM
> implementation or something else? The code tries to fall back to an empty
> map [using {}] when it can't get a database (as with M$), but I don't see
> that ought cause my problem (testing on Linux).

Ok, it seems it is somehow the Python implementation of the 'driver' that
talks to whichever DBM is available, or the DBM itself. Still, this
verbose/inelligant solution seems to satisfy brutus and gump.try and works
on a PC also. Hopefully it works on all.

    def get(self,key):
        key=str(key)
        val=''
        if self.db.has_key(key): val=str(self.db[key])
        return val

I did the three methods:

    http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py

regards,

Adam

Re: brutus.apache.org status

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> >   File "/usr/local/gump/public/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line
181, in getFloat
> >     if self.db.has_key(key): val=self.db[key]
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py", line 142, in has_key
> >     return self.db.has_key(key)
> > TypeError: String or Integer object expected for key, unicode found
>
> An easy fix for this would be to add "key=str(key)" immediately before
> this line, and in other similar methods.  It might be preferable to do
> this upstream (like when the string is read).

Sam, is it different levels of Python that cause this, or OS, or DBM
implementation or something else? The code tries to fall back to an empty
map [using {}] when it can't get a database (as with M$), but I don't see
that ought cause my problem (testing on Linux).

I have this set-up (see link) yet I get this error (below) with latest from
CVS HEAD:

    http://gump.try.sybase.com/#Workspace+Definition

regards

Adam

-

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gump/check.py", line 55, in ?
    result = GumpEngine().performCheck(run)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 84, in performCheck
    return self.perform(run, GumpTaskList(['check','document']) )
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 94, in perform
    self.performTasks(run,taskList)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 108, in performTasks
    task.invoke(run)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 947, in invoke
    return self.method(run)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 878, in loadStatistics
    self.processStatistics(run,1)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/engine.py", line 907, in processStatistics
    db.loadStatistics(workspace)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line 208, in
loadStatistics
    rs=self.getRepositoryStats(repo.getName())
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line 81, in
getRepositoryStats
    self.getBaseStats(stats)
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line 110, in getBaseStats
    stats.successes=self.getInt(stats.successesKey())
  File "/gump/gump/python/gump/output/statsdb.py", line 178, in getInt
    return int(self.db.get(str(key),0))
AttributeError: get
[ajack@gump python]$

--dated

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
I added a --dated switch to integrate.py a while back in preparation for a
server on Apache hardware that had sufficient disk space to allow nightly
logs. It takes the @@DATE@@ value, takes the log directory (and URL), and
appends the date to those two. Theoretically this ought be enough to give us
dated logs. Thoughts on turning this on?

This ought start to satisfy this:

    http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/GUMP-26

... but the '5' would have to be imposed separately, for now.

BTW: I've not yet added 'dated' as an attribute on the server.xml download
code, and it'll be interesting because that date on another machine could be
different than the @@DATE@@ on this machine. Interesting problem that I'll
need to solve first.

regards,

Adam