Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by se...@melshake.com on 2002/08/01 18:14:13 UTC

TCP connections betwen rev-proxy and webservers ?

I'm looking for some info. on how Apache reverse proxy establishes
the TCP connections to the web server.

How is it implemented ?

As far as I can see, it seem to me that it does open a new TCP connection for each new request, am I right ?
If this is really the case, does that's mean we lose the benefit of
HTTP/1.1 piping ?
Does the webserver might be configured to handle connection as if they were HTTP/1.0 and close the socket as fast as possible ?

Thanks for your help,

Steph
--
Stephane Engel <se...@mailshake.com>
 =20

     Secouez vos mails sur http://www.melshake.com ;-)

Re: TCP connections betwen rev-proxy and webservers ?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
sengel@melshake.com wrote:

> As far as I can see, it seem to me that it does open a new TCP connection for each new request, am I right ?
> If this is really the case, does that's mean we lose the benefit of
> HTTP/1.1 piping ?

The proxy doesn't do pipelining due to limitations in the way Apache
talks to it's modules, however it does support HTTP/1.1 keepalives,
which allows more than one request to be served over one TCP connection.

> Does the webserver might be configured to handle connection as if they were HTTP/1.0 and close the socket as fast as possible ?

There should be no need to do anything to the backend webserver, just
make sure it supports HTTP/1.1 and has keepalives enabled.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm
	"There's a moon