Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/08 11:12:02 UTC

Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

The generating-dashboard.html page includes the following text:

# You can use any other format than the one shown here
jmeter.save.saveservice.timestamp_format = yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss

The way I read this initially, all formats *apart* from the one shown are OK.
I suspect that is not the intention.

Are there any formats that are not supported?

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 May 2016 at 13:45, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 2:32 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 May 2016 at 13:13, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > It accepts :
>> > ms
>> > of any SimpleDateFormat

>> > It won't work with this, but what is this format ?  Is this an acceptable
>> > SimpleDateFormat ?
>>
>> Yes. Fixed text is allowed in single quotes.
>>
> ok, but why would somebody use such format ?

>> > See NormalizerSampleConsumer
>>
>> That extracts the time from a Date which is parsed from the timestamp.
>>
>> It does not tell me how the time is used.
>>

>> Since the code uses a default of HH:mm:ss I assume that it does not
>> care if the date information is missing.
>>
>> But does it care if the time information is missing, i.e. what about:
>>
>> jmeter.save.saveservice.timestamp_format = yyyy/MM/dd
>>
>> I suspect that would produce graphs that aren't very useful.
>>
> Yes.
> So documentation should mention to add time.
> For me it's the same as with old listeners and graphs generation.
> If there is no time, graphs are useless.

Ok, so we have established that:

The format must include the time and should ideally include the full date.
Or it may be milliseconds since epoch.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
SimpleDateFormat allows _quoted_ text.

i.e.
format='abcd'
not
format=abcd

I did not mean to suggest that anyone would use such a format; I was
trying to establish the limits of what was sensible.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Felix,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Ambiguous text in generating-dashboard.html

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
It's a formulation error.
This format is supported