Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stuart White <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/11 17:48:37 UTC

Access counters from within Reducer#configure() ?

I'd like to be able to access my job's counters from within my
Reducer's configure() method (so I can know how many records were
output from my mappers).  Is this possible?  Thanks!

Re: Access counters from within Reducer#configure() ?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On May 11, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Stuart White wrote:

> I'd like to be able to access my job's counters from within my
> Reducer's configure() method (so I can know how many records were
> output from my mappers).  Is this possible?  Thanks!

The counters aren't available and if they were the information you
want isn't there. Counters only flow up to the JobTracker. They never
flow down to the task attempts, so each task only sees its own counters.

-- Owen