Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Raphaël Delaporte <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/06 15:42:49 UTC

ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Hi all,

I'm wondering which version of ServiceMix I should use (SM3 or SM4) to start
new project for production.

I know the SM3 version is mature enough, has good examples, and stable.
I guess the SM4 version is maybe a bit young. Very few examples, small
doc...
For instance, the web home page of the SM project is for SM3, not SM4.

Am I wrong ? What are your opinions ?

Thanks for your replies.

Raphaël.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi Ryan,

           >> I actually ran into several backwards compatibility issues
with SMX 4 when deploying SAs that work on SMX3
           >> Some of our other projects had the same issues with SMX4 and
moved back to SMX3

           Did you succeed in migrating to Servicemix 4.x? Or still using
Servicemix 3.x?
           Please let me know your comment.

With Best Regards,
Diwakar

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
The smx components are JBI AND OSGi compliants. You can deploy it as a
bundle and use it via the service locator or the EndpointExporter. I
made a talk on this during the latest fuse community day. I will
provide the slideshow.
Anyway you use other bundles directly: cxf, camel, pax-web, etc. But
the smx components features are specific (wsdl support, multiple
operations, etc).

Regards
JB

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
The JBI components also contain OSGi bundle manifests.  When you deploy
inside SMX4, the container recognizes the OSGi bundle info and deploys them
as native OSGi bundles.

I would also recommend going with SMX4 for any new projects.  We are nearing
a ServiceMix 4.1 release and we will be reviewing and adding documentation
so hopefully this will help.

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Custine
FUSESource :: http://fusesource.com

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Raphaël Delaporte <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me, I think that will make things more intuitive.

So then the 2009.02.0-psc-01-00RC1 for the components is an updated version
of the 2009.02.0.0-fuse version?  I had seen that and wanted to make sure.

Ryan

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,
Just wondering if these problems you mention are happening on recent
SNAPSHOT builds of SMX4?  We have put in a lot of fixes and spent a lot of
time testing compatibility with JBI SA's over the past couple of months so I

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
OSGI framework is the technology adopted by SMX4 platform to deploy/package
components ans so on. It has nothing to do with JBI specification.

More info here : http://www.osgi.org/About/WhatIsOSGi

Regards,

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer

*****************************
blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com
twitter : http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedlin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard

Apache Camel Group :
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2447439&trk=anet_ug_hm

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Raphaël Delaporte <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I think I'm a bite confused ...

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Grégory Le Bonniec <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Karolis Petrauskas <k....@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Hi Karolis,
>
> No for now, we don't consider JBI as deprecated. SMX4 offers to you the
> capability to use pure OSGi and/or JBI.   You can scramble JBI with OSGi
> using the EndpointExporter.
> The development of the NMR/JBI is very active and will keep on like this for
> a while ;)
>
> Regards
> JB

Karolis Petrauskas

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Karolis,

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Karolis Petrauskas <k....@gmail.com>.
Hi all.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Raphaël Delaporte <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Re: ServiceMix 3 or 4 ?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It mainly depends if you want to use OSGi and/or JBI.

If you provide JBI SU/SA you can use both smx 3 or 4.
But if you already have some OSGi stuff, you need smx 4.

If you begin from scratch, the best is to start with smx4.

Regards
JB