Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Xinyu Liu <xi...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/10 17:22:36 UTC

Beam Samza Runner status update

Hi, All,

It's been over four months since we added the Samza Runner to Beam, and
we've been making a lot of progress after that. Here I would like to update
your guys and share some really good news happening here at LinkedIn:

1) First Beam job in production @LInkedIn!
After a few rounds of testing and benchmarking, we finally rolled out our
first Beam job here! The job uses quite a few features, such as event time,
fixed/session windowing, early triggering, and stateful processing. Our
first customer is very happy and they highly appraise the easy-to-use Beam
API as well as powerful processing model. Due to the limited resources
here, we put our full trust in the work you guys are doing, and we didn't
run into any surprises. We see extremely attention to details as well as
non-compromise in any user experience everywhere in the code base. We would
like to thank everyone in the Beam community to contribute to such an
amazing framework!

2) A portable Samza Runner prototype
We are also starting the work in making Samza Runner portable. So far we
just got the python word count example working using portable Samza Runner.
Please look out for the PR for this very soon :). Again, this work is not
possible without the great Beam portability framework, and the developers
like Luke and Ahmet, just to name a few, behind it. The ReferenceRunner has
been extremely useful to us to figure out what's needed and how it works.
Kudos to Thomas Groh, Ben Sidhom and all the others who makes this
available to us. And to Kenn, your fuse work rocks.

3) More contributors in Samza Runner
The runner has been Chris and my personal project for a while and now it's
not the case. We got Hai Lu and Boris Shkolnik from Samza team to
contribute. Hai has been focusing on the portability work as mentioned in
#2, and Boris will work mostly on supporting our use cases. We will send
more emails discussing our use cases, like the "Update state after firing"
email I sent out earlier.

Finally, a shout-out to our very own Chris Pettitt. Without you, none of
the above won't happen!

Thanks,
Xinyu

Re: Beam Samza Runner status update

Posted by Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com>.
I'm excited to hear about making Samza capable of running non-Java
pipelines.

Posted by Xinyu Liu <xi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jesse Anderson <je...@bigdatainstitute.io>.