Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Robert McIntosh <ro...@bull-enterprises.com> on 2003/07/02 17:39:44 UTC

Re: [RT] The Next Big Component Architecture

Speaking as a user of avalon/fortress, I agree completely on the
usability and complexity aspects of your statements. I still have a hard
time getting across to coworkers just exactly avalon is. For the longest
time my boss thought it was an xml config tool. After about the 8th time
of saying "the config is just one small portion of it", he finally got
it. It seems to me at this point in Avalon's life that it can be used by
really smart people, or those who want to invest a lot of time in
learning how to use it, to help out other people. In other words, guru 1
can setup phoenix/merlin/whatever with some services and allow non-guru
2-10 to use them easily. Make sense?

The hardest thing as a user to get or understand is the roles config.
Last time I looked (a few months or so), there was almost no docs on how
to set this stuff up. I first went by examples, but they were outdated
and nothing worked. I eventually got it, but it wasn't trivial. Your
mention of the declarative side of things is really interesting to me,
cause that is what our product is geared towards. We use avalon/fortress
to help facilitate the services side of things, but what we do is allow
the developer the option of decalaring, through the config of our
components, most if not all aspects of an applications domain model and
processes.

Robert