Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au> on 2017/06/09 03:50:51 UTC

JMX property keys

I want to monitor my Solr instances using JMX and graph performance. Using Zabbix notation, I end up with a key that looks like this:

jmx["solr/suburbs-1547_shard1_replica1:type=standard,id=org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler","5minRateReqsPerSecond"]

My problem here is that the key contains the replica id "_replica1". But this of course changes across all the hosts in the Solr Cloud, so monitoring is a real pain as I roll out nodes. I need to know which replica is running on which host.

Why is this so? Is there a way to override how the Solr cores expose themselves to JMX?

Please cc me since I'm not subscribed here.

Cheers
Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: JMX property keys

Posted by Emir Arnautovic <em...@sematext.com>.
Hi Ari,

It is common that way app is reporting metric is not monitoring
friendly. It is not just how it is named but also some metrics require
you to create statefull monitoring agent in order to be able to display
them on time axis.

I am not aware that this can be overridden for Solr, but you can try
some of existing Solr monitoring tools. One such tool is Sematext Cloud
(http://sematext.com/spm/) with OOTB agent and charts for Solr Cloud.
You can check if it meets your needs or use to see what can be done with
data from Solr JMX.

HTH,
Emir