Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com> on 2002/11/07 16:54:50 UTC

TCK compliance [was: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar]

JAXP 1.2 conformance section states that all implementations of JAXP
need to be conformant to the following specifications: XML 1.0 Rec., SAX
2.0, XSLT 1.0, and DOM Level 2 Core.

So what happens when new versions of the specifications come out, i.e.
XML 1.1 (CR), SAX 2.0.1, XSLT 2.0 and DOM Level 3 Core?

Is there any process (at Apache or at Sun) that allows endorsing the new
versions of the external standards, so that implementations can stay
compliant to JAXP?

Thank you,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I don't think you can be compliant
> with SAX 2.0.1 or DOM3 without being compatible with SAX 2.0 and DOM
> 2.

SAX 2.0.1 had a signature change and DOM3 introduces new methods in the
existing interfaces (plus addes new interfaces to the org.w3c.dom
package), and these changes will _not_ allow implementations to pass the
JAXP TCK since the TCK tests that signatures are as definded in the spec
and that no new signatures are added to the interfaces/classes.

--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: TCK compliance [was: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar]

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.
At 10:54 AM -0500 11/7/02, Elena Litani wrote:
>JAXP 1.2 conformance section states that all implementations of JAXP
>need to be conformant to the following specifications: XML 1.0 Rec., SAX
>2.0, XSLT 1.0, and DOM Level 2 Core.
>
>So what happens when new versions of the specifications come out, i.e.
>XML 1.1 (CR), SAX 2.0.1, XSLT 2.0 and DOM Level 3 Core?

Of those, I think XML 1.1 is the only one that matters. I think the
other three are all strict supersets of the earlier specs. (Well,
XSLT isn't; but the version attribute lets you figure out which
version you've got a hold of.) I don't think you can be compliant
with SAX 2.0.1 or DOM3 without being compatible with SAX 2.0 and DOM
2. XML 1.1 is an issue.