Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com> on 2010/08/04 10:27:08 UTC

Changing schema w/o losing data - Can it be done?

When I change schema I need to delete the commit logs - otherwise I get a
null pointer exception.

Is there a way that I can force Cassandra to empty the commit logs so I
won't lose data???

(There has not been much recent activity, nor is there much current
activity. There was only one log and it was only 54K.)

Re: Changing schema w/o losing data - Can it be done?

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
NullPointerException--it sounds like you're restarting?

If so, you should look into `nodetool drain`.
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ#modify_cf_config

Gary

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>.
On 8/4/10 1:27 AM, David Boxenhorn wrote:
> When I change schema I need to delete the commit logs - otherwise I get
> a null pointer exception.

In versions prior to 0.6.4, there is a bug which leads to an infinite
loop when :

a) you stop the node without doing "nodetool drain" first
b) then you remove a columnfamily from the storage-conf.xml
c) and then you restart the node

The solution is to always do a "nodetool drain" before conf file changes
which remove a CF. The specific bug referred to above was fixed in 0.6.4
as a side-effect of the patching of CASSANDRA-685.

=Rob

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-685

Re: Changing schema w/o losing data - Can it be done?

Posted by David Boxenhorn <da...@lookin2.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Matthew Grogan <mg...@system7.co.uk>.