Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2016/05/24 17:20:00 UTC

Updating APR ...

Hello;

As part of some enhancements I am preparing to generate better random
numbers, I took a look at the random number generator in SAL and
I found it's very limited.

I think even the "regular" KISS PRNG I implemented in Calc does a
better job generating random numbers but instead of moving my PRNG
to SAL I will be using the one in APR.

Looking at the SAL APIs I also think APR can replace much of that
functionality as well.

So, just to let you know, I am in the process of updating the APR
support we carry in AOO: it should be also useful for serf, and we
could use it for tomcat, which we may want to upgrade and use more
extensively in the future as well.

Pedro.

RE: Updating APR ...

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Great!  Thanks, Pedro.

[ ... ]
> Hi Dennis,
>
> You are reading too much ;).
>
> All I will do is update a couple of tarballs:
>
> apr 1.4.5      --> apr-1.5.2
> apr-util-1.4.1 --> apr-util-1.5.4
[orcmid]

Clear enough.

> In the near future I will reap out the core of rtl_random() and replace
> the implementation with the APR equivalent. This will be within SAL, the
> API will remain untouched and the rest of AOO, you won't even notice the
> change.
>
> I am hoping to prepare a presentation about it for the next ApacheConEU.
[orcmid]

The documentation that I found on the APR random functions provides nothing about the implementation and its characteristics.  Have you found anything or must one examine the code?

Re: Updating APR ...

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis;

RE: Updating APR ...