Posted to dev@drat.apache.org by Ahmed Ifhaam <ah...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/12 19:06:25 UTC

Re: Current Status and Plans (was Re: Joining on board)

Hi everyone,

I was updating my progress of GSOC time to time. Since i'm completing one
month i would like to summarize it.
My task was to evolve the current Proteus interface for DRAT. As you all
may know already, DRAT had four main functions
Crawl,Index,Map,Reduce. When ever the rest api of DRAT called these
functions, these were executing set of shell commands to perform the task.

Since my task was to evolve the Web interface, With the guidance of my
mentor and the community, i was tasked with creating the APIs
with direct java API calls rather than shell scripts. DRAT uses OODT to
perform these actions, while OODT currently moving to AvroRPC from XMLRpc
technology.
Though we were trying to implement the APIs with AvroRPC clients, Due to
some complications faced in implementing AvroRPC for OODT we had to stick
to the XMLRpc.
But as soon as OODT is released with the stable AvroRPC implementation
these will be updated to use AvroRPC instead of XMLRpc. Current changes
have been merged
with the master branch of DRAT.

So far i have successfully completed all the API calls and also have
introduced one new Rest API for DRAT to execute dynamic workflows with
given tasks.
On the other hand for the  web interface implementation i have designed the
mockups and shared in mailing list as well. While waiting for your valuable
comments for those, I have started working on that too. For both the API
and web interface i have updated the DRAT wiki on Github.

For web interface i have planned to use angular and angular Material
technologies.I'm willing to start with the latest version of angular.
The help i got from you people was much helpful, I'm very grateful for
that. Special Thanks to Chris and Imesha for helping me constantly.

Your comments on my work and also suggestions for the rest would be very
helpful in we making this product a better one.

Thank you all.

Posted by Ahmed Ifhaam <ah...@gmail.com>.
hi everyone,

As of today i have completed the integration of drat Proteus and drat viz
into single application. currently the pull request [1] consist the
complete implementation of the webapp from the initial commit.
all the functions of this webapplication have been implemented using rest
API calls to the backend.
i have used *single file component* based architecture (structure) for the
application and also so far almost 90% of the components are independed
from another.
I have used a simple state management technic so that the layouts can be
easily altered with future feedbacks. Each component has been developed
with vuetify.js material design library.
So far i have received some feedbacks from the community that tables are
taking too much width, i am waiting to finish the required features, as
soon as i finish i will focus on the feedbacks.
Still implementing dratstat functionality through java backend, which is
currently a seprate python script is the only thing left as major
requirement.
so far the support i got from this community and what i have learned is
something i couldn't even imagine. This has been a great opportunity, I'm
very thankful for each of you for helping me with this. I hope i can be
part of this forever but on my GSOC career this month would be the last,
hence i kindly request you all to take a look at what i have done and give
me your valuable feedbacks. i would be very grateful.

[1] https://github.com/apache/drat/pull/135

Thank you.

Posted by Ahmed Ifhaam <ah...@gmail.com>.
hi everyone,