Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/15 19:20:08 UTC

Choose witch Component to use by a String

I want to use a component in a page, but i don't know which to use,
I only know a String at Runtime, How can I do this.

I add <div t:type="component1"></div>to a .tml file, "component1" is the Component Class name.
I try to add a method getComponentName() to the java file, then i can control which
component to use, but i failed.

Is their another way to do this?

Thanks.

Re: Choose witch Component to use by a String

Posted by Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

On Jun 17, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:21:27 -0300, Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried this approach.
>> Is this means I must put all my components in a page.
>> Is their a performance problem if i have many components in one page?
>
> No.
>
>> How to pass parameter to the component I get in this way.
>
> Use the Environment service.
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Bo Gao
elivoa@gmail.com

Re: Choose witch Component to use by a String

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:21:27 -0300, Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried this approach.
> Is this means I must put all my components in a page.
> Is their a performance problem if i have many components in one page?

No.

> How to pass parameter to the component I get in this way.

Use the Environment service.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Choose witch Component to use by a String

Posted by Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com>.

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:37 AM, Robert Zeigler wrote:

> You can use ComponentSource to grab other pages, and then grab components off of those pages.
> I've used this approach for plugin-style apps where the components to use for a given data type are determined at runtime and can be "plugged-in".
>
> Robert
>
> On Jun 15, 2011, at 6/151:31 PM , Bo Gao wrote:
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>> You can't choose your components at runtime. Although, if you have a
>>> set of known components that you want to choose from you can put your
>>> components in <t:block> and load the block by id.
>>

>> If there are too many known components, I don't want to put so many
>> components in on page.
>>
>> I have another thought. Can I create a new component, and based on a String
>> parameter, render this component as another known component.
>> (Like a page forward to another page).
>>
>> or, is there a way to get an instance of a Component using java code at runtime.

>>> http://tapestry.apache.org/principles.html
>>>
>>> Principle 1 – Static Structure, Dynamic Behavior
>>>
>>> You can't choose your components at runtime. Although, if you have a
>>> set of known components that you want to choose from you can put your
>>> components in <t:block> and load the block by id.
>>>

>>> <t:delegate to="namedBlock"/><!-- where namedBlock is a page property
>>> which returns the block based on your runtime value -->
>>>
>>> <t:block t:id="circle"><t:drawcircle/></t:block>
>>> <t:block t:id="square"><t:drawsquare/></t:block>
>>> <t:block t:id="triangle"><t:drawtriangle/></t:block>
>>>

>>> Josh

>> --
>> Bo Gao
>> elivoa@gmail.com

Bo Gao
elivoa@gmail.com

Re: Choose witch Component to use by a String

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:37:55 -0300, Robert Zeigler
<ro...@roxanemy.com> wrote:

> You can use ComponentSource to grab other pages, and then grab
> components off of those pages.
> I've used this approach for plugin-style apps where the components to
> use for a given data type are determined at runtime and can be
> "plugged-in".

And that's exactly the approach used by BeanEditForm, BeanEditor, Grid and
BeanDisplay (except they use blocks instead of components directly, but
this doesn't make almost any difference).

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.

Posted by Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

> You can't choose your components at runtime. Although, if you have a
> set of known components that you want to choose from you can put your
> components in <t:block> and load the block by id.

If there are too many known components, I don't want to put so many
components in on page.

I have another thought. Can I create a new component, and based on a String
parameter, render this component as another known component.
(Like a page forward to another page).

or, is there a way to get an instance of a Component using java code at runtime.

On Jun 16, 2011, at 1:26 AM, Josh Canfield wrote:

>> I want to use a component in a page, but i don't know which to use,
>> I only know a String at Runtime, How can I do this.
>
> http://tapestry.apache.org/principles.html
>
> Principle 1 – Static Structure, Dynamic Behavior
>
> You can't choose your components at runtime. Although, if you have a
> set of known components that you want to choose from you can put your
> components in <t:block> and load the block by id.
>

> <t:delegate to="namedBlock"/><!-- where namedBlock is a page property
> which returns the block based on your runtime value -->
>
> <t:block t:id="circle"><t:drawcircle/></t:block>
> <t:block t:id="square"><t:drawsquare/></t:block>
> <t:block t:id="triangle"><t:drawtriangle/></t:block>
>

> Josh
>
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Bo Gao <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to use a component in a page, but i don't know which to use,
>> I only know a String at Runtime, How can I do this.
>>
>> I add <div t:type="component1"></div>to a .tml file, "component1" is the Component Class name.
>> I try to add a method getComponentName() to the java file, then i can control which
>> component to use, but i failed.
>>
>> Is their another way to do this?
>>
>> Thanks.

Bo Gao
elivoa@gmail.com

Re: Choose witch Component to use by a String

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.