Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/24 14:05:58 UTC

[site] build.xml includes force=true

build.xml was updated in r128387 to add force=true to all the transformations.

Is this needed?
[The log does not say why it was added].

It causes files to be always out of date with respect to the SVN copies.

Seems to me it should either be removed - or at least be made a property?

S.

Re: [site] build.xml includes force=true

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 24, 2005 6:30 PM, Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, sebb wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:06:33 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
> > <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Sorry, meant to replyt on this stuff last night but it turned into a
> >> mildly late one at work, followed by the usual household chores.
> >
> > No problem.
> >
> >> I think the problem was that it was not noticing when the navigation was
> >> being changed, so somebody added a force.
> >
> > OK, I see.
> >
> >> Although it causes it to build everything, SVN's seems to handle it and
> >> notices the 1 or 2 files that have actually changed. Under 1.5 it builds
> >> so quickly (10-ish seconds on my P3 1Ghz) that it's not seemed a big deal.
> >
> > Yes, it builds quickly enough.
> >
> > I must admit I did not dare try committing all the files to SVN, as I
> > did not want to generate huge diff listings...
>
> Do an svn status. I think you'll find you've changed a lot less files
> (from SVN's point of view) than you think, unless you're using JDK 1.4
> (where it's a lot slower) or we're getting an odd linux vs mac vs windows
> encoding issue.

I've just tried building on Windows, using Java 1.4 (because the last
build used 1.4), and I get a lot of differences.

It turns out that at least some of these are caused by the EOL
setting, because when I changed one of the files from DOS to Unix line
endings, the differences disappeared.

Also, all but the board* files in docs/site/pmc have
svn:eol-style=native, and only the board* files were different after a
build.

I've now added svn:eol-style=native to the board* files, and done
another build, and the board* files are indeed now no longer
different.

So I think all the generated html files need to be marked similarly to
avoid OS platform differences.

Of course there will still be the problem of the differences between
Java 1.4 and 1.5 - doesn't look like there's an easy solution to that.

Re: [site] build.xml includes force=true

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, sebb wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:06:33 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
> <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, meant to replyt on this stuff last night but it turned into a
>> mildly late one at work, followed by the usual household chores.
>
> No problem.
>
>> I think the problem was that it was not noticing when the navigation was
>> being changed, so somebody added a force.
>
> OK, I see.
>
>> Although it causes it to build everything, SVN's seems to handle it and
>> notices the 1 or 2 files that have actually changed. Under 1.5 it builds
>> so quickly (10-ish seconds on my P3 1Ghz) that it's not seemed a big deal.
>
> Yes, it builds quickly enough.
>
> I must admit I did not dare try committing all the files to SVN, as I
> did not want to generate huge diff listings...

Do an svn status. I think you'll find you've changed a lot less files
(from SVN's point of view) than you think, unless you're using JDK 1.4
(where it's a lot slower) or we're getting an odd linux vs mac vs windows
encoding issue.

Hen

Re: [site] build.xml includes force=true

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:19:49 +0000, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:06:33 -0500 (EST), Henri Yandell
> <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, meant to replyt on this stuff last night but it turned into a
> > mildly late one at work, followed by the usual household chores.
>
> No problem.
>
> > I think the problem was that it was not noticing when the navigation was
> > being changed, so somebody added a force.
>
> OK, I see.
>
> > Although it causes it to build everything, SVN's seems to handle it and
> > notices the 1 or 2 files that have actually changed. Under 1.5 it builds
> > so quickly (10-ish seconds on my P3 1Ghz) that it's not seemed a big deal.
>
> Yes, it builds quickly enough.
>
> I must admit I did not dare try committing all the files to SVN, as I
> did not want to generate huge diff listings...
>
> Ideally the files would not be recreated, as there must be quite a bit
> of overhead in sending the files back to SVN for it to ignore them,
> but unless the overlooked dependency can be fixed, I guess it all
> needs to be rebuilt.

Actually, I would not expect those files to be sent to the SVN server
at all, since diff is a local operation. (One of the big advantages of
SVN. ;)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.