Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Karl Gerhard <ka...@gercom.com> on 2002/08/13 00:19:34 UTC

Configuring mailaddress -- follow up question

GIVEN:   James running on gercom.com  <servername>gercom.com</servername>
In admin  entering  adduser   kpg  some-password
Actual user email address is karl.gerhard@gercom.com

QUESTIONS:
1.  For an incoming to smtp,  how does James determine that karl.gerhard is
registered user when the userid is kpg ?
2.  Or, does it matter ?  does James accept everything addressed to
gercom.com and discard them after x minutes if not retrieved by a POP3
connection from some user via Outlook ?

thanx

That`s the same problem I`m trying to do as well. I only have a machine
named tech.mydomain.com, and James detects that, however for just domain not
host I think you could just add
<servername>mydomain.com</servername> In the config.xml. I`m not sure. If
you get to try it let me know what happens. Autodetect correctly finds the
me@tech.mydomain.com and I can send and receive just fine. but I have
another mail server that handles mail for the rest of the domain so I cannot
try the me@domain.com on my James install.
The SMTP_AUTH works great with Outlook clients !

Adrian
Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> add the following to config.xml in the transport processor
> before the local delivery mailet:

> <mailet match="RecipientIs=karl.gerhard@gercom.com" class="Forward">

If you've got a lot of those, you can use JDBCAlias.  But if all he wants is
to forward from a local account to elsewhere, he can set a forwarding
address on his James account instead of using Forward.

	--- Noel

Re: Configuring mailaddress -- follow up question

Posted by Sam Kirkpatrick <sa...@waterglenweb.com>.
1.  If you want karl.gerhard@gercom.com to be an alias to the kpg@gercom.com
account you created, you can add the following to config.xml in the
transport processor, before the local delivery mailet:

<mailet match="RecipientIs=karl.gerhard@gercom.com" class="Forward">
     <forwardto> kpg@gercom.com </forwardto>
</mailet>

If you don't want kpg@gercom.com to be a valid email address, then you
simply need to
  adduser karl.gerhard some-password
in the admin.

2.  With a default configuration, an email which does not match a valid
account is sent to an error processor, which typically stores the email in
an error repository.  Look for the <processor name="error"> section in your
config file.

Hope this helps.

Sam

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Configuring mailaddress -- follow up question

Posted by Eric Weidner <es...@pumavision.net>.
It doesn't.

But what you can do is add matchers to catch all variations you might
have and have them all delivered to the user kpg@gercom.com

Find the section where a matcher sends mail to null@badboy and add a
section after it that looks like this.

          <mailet match="RecipientIs=karl.gerhard@gercom.com
                                    ,kgerhard@gercom.com
                                    ,karlgerhard@gercom.com
                                    " class="Forward">
              <forwardto> kpg@gercom.com </forwardto>
          </mailet>

Eric

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> GIVEN:   James running on gercom.com  <servername>gercom.com</servername>
> In admin  entering  adduser   kpg  some-password
> Actual user email address is karl.gerhard@gercom.com

user should have username karl.gerhard then, not kpg.

> QUESTIONS:
> 1.  For an incoming to smtp,  how does James determine that
> karl.gerhard is
> registered user when the userid is kpg ?

if username karl.gerhard exists in the users repository, and the host is one
of those accepted.
there is no mapping of usernames unless you use aliases and or forwarding,
but you need to get then hang of the simple thing first.

> 2.  Or, does it matter ?  does James accept everything addressed to
> gercom.com and discard them after x minutes if not retrieved by a POP3
> connection from some user via Outlook ?

No, james is configured to deliver local mail into pop3 storage for
collection, mail to unidentifiable recipients will be handled as spam or
errors.

d.