Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/24 23:54:54 UTC

Re: Apache/Linux foundation outreach?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Tamao <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
> I hope things went well with your accountant

The process hasn't converged yet, but I think we're getting there!

> and thanks again for thinking of me regarding the Linux Foundation.

Of course!

> I've been working on a crepes recipe since our crepe lunch. (a healthier no-sugar version
> that can be gluten free too, although it is a little more challenging to flip). I don't hold back
> on the butter though and I think that's what keeps it tasty.

Do I sense an invitation here? ;-)

> By the way I wanted to reach out to people who are working on building open source communities
> to see if they would be interested in attending devrelcon.com. I was wondering if the Apache Foundation,
> Linux Foundation, or other groups that you know would be willing to have Community sponsor status
> (with logos and such on our site and signage) in exchange for sending out an email to its list about
> devrelcon.com.

This would be a perfect question to ask on dev@community.apache.org (I
think you need to be subscribed
to be able to post -- for that just send an empty email to
dev-subscribe@community.apache.org).

I can help take it from there.

> I think it would be relevant for people who are working on building their communities to hear from experts who
> have built, grown, and nurtured open source or tech communities at our event. What do you think?

Totally! In fact, if you want somebody to present on the "Apache Way" governance
model and how it is proving to be one of the most successful ways of
growing developer
communities you know the guy. That would be the same guy who right
about now craves
your crepes ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Apache/Linux foundation outreach?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Tama oh wrote on 3/30/16 7:10 PM:
> Fyi, once Roman confirms his talk title an abstract, he will be on
> the schedule to share his knowledge on the Apache way of building
> global open source Dev communities. I'm excited! Thanks!

Cool, if it were East coast I'd want to come (but no-one funds my travel
these days).

Re: community sponsorship, our current policy is not to do this for
non-Apache project conferences.  The ASF is very sensitive to our
vendor-neutral and project-first ways, so we would only list our feather
icon when the project is being run by/for an Apache PMC for that project.

Hope to see folks at either ApacheCon/BigData or OSCON!

- Shane

> Best,
> Tamao
>
>> On Mar 30, 2016, at 17:55, Richard clark <li...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Mar 24, 2016, at 4:40 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, please ignore the rest of this email (it wasn't meant to be CCed
>>> here). But the following
>>> part still stands as a good question for this crowd:

>>> Thoughts on something like devrelcon.com? Since I'm local to the SF
>>> Bay Area I can
>>> volunteer as a speaker. A question that I don't know the answer to is:
>>> whether ASF
>>> has ever considered to be a 'media sponsor', etc.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roman.

Re: Apache/Linux foundation outreach?

Posted by Tama oh <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard clark <li...@icloud.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Tamao <ta...@gmail.com>.
Ciao Shane!

1. Agreed. It would only make sense if someone like Roman spoke at our
event specifically on his experience of growing, mentoring, nurturing ASF
communities, which would be very desirable content for our event.
If that were the case, would it be appropriate to alert your users of
Roman's participation/ASF's representation at our conference via email or
social?

On another thread with Roman, I gave more details about how I'd like
another speaker on open source community building. If it's relevant, I'm
also looking for discussion of how developer relations practices may differ
between engaging with dev communities from the heart of SV vs. in various
countries around the world. If Roman (or another ASF speaker) has
experiences and opinions on that topic, I feel that it would give great
guidance to our audience and enrich the conversation.

Let me know if I'm going down the wrong path, but I feel that someone
representing the ASF would be the right expert to talk about one of these
topics or both together. What do you think?

2. I will happily provide crepes as well. I don't see guidelines for crepes
here (http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events), but we can update the
docs and provide the necessary crepes, both savory and sweet.

[?]πŸ—ΌπŸŒ―πŸ˜„πŸŽ‰

Best,
Tamao

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.