Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/10/03 16:45:59 UTC

next release of UIMA base SDK

I'd like to try to do a release of the base SDK targeting the end of October, in
order to pick up a couple of bug fixes and anything else we'd like to get in
(such as all the updates Joern has been doing :-) )

This would be a 2.4.0 release (due to some slight change in the JMX APIs that
Jerry did, and the rather extensive evolving of the Cas Editor).

I'd like to precede this with a "build" tooling update.  For that, it would be
nice if we could get the "m2e" maven/eclipse for Eclipse 3.7 working - I tried
this twice, and as of last month it was almost getting to the point where I
could make it more-or-less work, but not quite.

Has anyone gotten this to work yet?  If so, can you post what you needed to add
to our POMs to get it to go? (that is - m2e reads configuration out of
org.eclipse.m2e:lifecycle-mapping that you can use to make things build in
Eclipse the same way (more-or-less) that they build in maven.

I'm thinking m2e needs a little more time before it starts working reliably, so
happy to defer this...

-Marshall

Re: next release of UIMA base SDK

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

> To get the Cas Editor ready for a release we are still missing these two issues:
> UIMA-2257, is about working on the documentation
> UIMA-2258, is about creating a test plan
>
> I will now start working on them.

Great!  I've done some preliminary trial builds of uima-sdk, found a couple of
issues, and will be fixing them, maybe tomorrow :-).

Then I'll need to release the build tooling (where some of the fixes are) before
building the sdk release.

-Marshall

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/11 5:23 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:

> On 11/9/2011 6:31 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> On 11/3/11 10:31 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>>> I will try to get the Cas Editor issues done till then. We are using
>>> the Cas Editor
>>> currently in an annotation project which gives us a good test coverage.
>>>

>> UIMA-2273 is delaying things by a few days. I would like to get all
>> code changes
>> done as soon as possible and then use that version in the annotation
>> project
>> I am currently running. Additionally I might need a few days to get
>> the test plan
>> and testing done.

This issue is now closed and I did some short testing already, more
extensive
testing in my annotation project will start now.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 11/9/2011 6:31 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 11/3/11 10:31 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> I will try to get the Cas Editor issues done till then. We are using the Cas
>> Editor
>> currently in an annotation project which gives us a good test coverage.
>>

> UIMA-2273 is delaying things by a few days. I would like to get all code changes
> done as soon as possible and then use that version in the annotation project
> I am currently running. Additionally I might need a few days to get the test plan
> and testing done.
>
>> Anyway depending on Peters work it might be wise to move the release a bit
>> so he gets all the features in the version which will be released he needs
>> for the Text Marker integration.
>
> There are two smaller issues which Peter would like to get in, but I don't
> expect any delays from them.
>
> Maybe we should just start doing the first RC mid-November, I suspect that
> some issues might popup anyway with the build itself. And then eventually do
> a second RC to pick up the delayed Cas Editor changes.
>
> What do you think?

+1   Marshall

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/11 5:16 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 04:12 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>
>> Are there any users which need a bug fix or a feature in the next Cas
>> Editor release?
>
> One thing that would be interesting for us is better handling of
> relations between annotations.  Right now it is very difficult to have
> annotations that reference other annotations, e.g. for syntactic or
> semantic relations between text segments.
>
> We currently use Callisto (http://callisto.mitre.org/) for some
> annotation tasks where we need such "chains", but would much prefer to
> be able to do it in UIMA.
>
> A special case of this are annotations that are used solely to relate
> other annotations, but don't themselves correspond to a text segment
> (maybe we should even derive from TOP instead of Annotation as "begin"
> and "end" are not really meaningful). These would need to show up in a
> list of annotations, even though they are not "in the text", and we
> would need a way to add an annotation without selecting a text span.

Sorry for my late reply. You can use the Feature Structure View, which
is able to show you Feature Structures of any type.
Did you try that?

Do you have a suggestion how the UI should be?

Jörn

Re: next release of UIMA base SDK

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
On 10/04/2011 04:12 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:

> Are there any users which need a bug fix or a feature in the next Cas
> Editor release?

One thing that would be interesting for us is better handling of
relations between annotations.  Right now it is very difficult to have
annotations that reference other annotations, e.g. for syntactic or
semantic relations between text segments.

We currently use Callisto (http://callisto.mitre.org/) for some
annotation tasks where we need such "chains", but would much prefer to
be able to do it in UIMA.

A special case of this are annotations that are used solely to relate
other annotations, but don't themselves correspond to a text segment
(maybe we should even derive from TOP instead of Annotation as "begin"
and "end" are not really meaningful). These would need to show up in a
list of annotations, even though they are not "in the text", and we
would need a way to add an annotation without selecting a text span.

Bye,
Jens

Re: next release of UIMA base SDK

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 10/3/11 4:45 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I'd like to try to do a release of the base SDK targeting the end of October, in
> order to pick up a couple of bug fixes and anything else we'd like to get in
> (such as all the updates Joern has been doing:-)  )
>
> This would be a 2.4.0 release (due to some slight change in the JMX APIs that
> Jerry did, and the rather extensive evolving of the Cas Editor).

I would like to get UIMA-2245 and UIMA 2225 finished before we do the
release. The first will be
a bigger change and it is a feature which is needed by plugins which
build on the Cas Editor.
I am confident that I can get both issues done before the end of the month.