Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org> on 2010/11/30 20:39:35 UTC

Very slow sorting, even on small result sets

We've got a largish corpus (~94 million documents). We'd like to be able
to sort on one of the string fields. However this takes an incredibly
long time. A warming query for that field takes about ~20 minutes.

However most of the time the result sets are small since we use filters
heavily - typically a result set is between 2 and 100 documents.

Yet sorting on the string field is still very, very slow.

Now, as I understand it sorting on a field requires building a
FieldCache for every document no matter how many documents actually
match the query.

Is there any way round that - is there any way to say "just sort the
matched documents"?

We can probably work round this by sorting in application space but I
wanted to double check that I'm not missing anything before I implement
that.

thanks,

Simon