Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> on 2004/11/30 11:42:41 UTC

[OT] RE: Tomcat Requirements?

[I'm marking this OT as it's looking increasingly like a database issue]

> From: Chris Cherrett [mailto:stuff@trackingsolutions.ca]
> Tomcat averaged 15% CPU
> Mysql spiked the CPU usage to 100% when hit with long queries.

Bloody.  Would you expect that to be the case?  Naively, I'd be looking
at my database indexing at this point and seeing what was causing mySQL
to have problems.

> Would this be an indication of the need for RAM, or the need
> for a faster CPU?

Without seeing some memory and disk I/O figures, I can't answer that -
simply measuring the CPU gives you one dimension of (at least) a
3-dimensional puzzle.

Intuitively, if mySQL is at 100% CPU, you don't need more RAM - it's got
all its data in RAM and is just having problems with the queries.
You're maxing out the CPU, which tells me that either you have some very
complex queries or that your indexing is sub-optimal - perhaps both!
But I'd like to see pages/sec and disk I/O figures before confirming it.

		- Peter

Re: [OT] RE: Tomcat Requirements?

Posted by Chris Cherrett <st...@trackingsolutions.ca>.
The queries are very complex in this case. I will look into indexing and see
what I can do. Thanks for the help. I will post back to tell you what I come
up with.

Thanks

Posted by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za>.
On Tuesday 30 November 2004 12:42, Peter Crowther wrote:
> Bloody.  Would you expect that to be the case?  Naively, I'd be looking
> at my database indexing at this point and seeing what was causing mySQL
> to have problems.

I had a similar problem with PostgresQL. Created some indexes and now the
slowest part of the system is the network connection to the client.

> Without seeing some memory and disk I/O figures, I can't answer that -
> simply measuring the CPU gives you one dimension of (at least) a
> 3-dimensional puzzle.

:) I agree.

Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

"I'd love to go out with you, but I have to stay home and see if I
snore."