Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org> on 2002/08/07 13:25:27 UTC

Re: Cocoon Priorities [was: Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)]

Agreed!

We've started discussing the release plan for 2.1 and we ended up on another
planet again.

Here go my votes in order of priority:

1) Feature freeze for 2.1

2) Announce 2.1 Alpha stage on the main Web Site, so that people that don't
follow the threads are aware of the plan.

3) Improve documentation for 2.1

4) Announce one month voting period for users and developers to decide which
components of Cocoon do not need to be included in the core.

5) Move low voted components back to scratchpad.

6) Announce 2.1 Beta in December-January timeframe

7) Wait until majority of us are comfortable with the quality of the
documentation and the code.

8) Release 2.1 in March-April time frame

As a side task, if someone is willing to work on a build script which allows
modules to be included or excluded from a build, it will be great. While
this is critical for an OS kernel, it is not necessarily a show stopper for
a J2EE server. Weblogic comes as a 100mb install, while we don't use more
than 10mb. Same with WebSphere and other J2EE servers. Cocoon is not exactly
a J2EE container, but it is as sophisticated in many ways.
Disk space is not such a big issue. As long as it is a stable build, size is
not that important on the server side.

Also, when are we merging Forrest with Cocoon's web site?

Regards,

Ivelin