Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/22 18:24:05 UTC

Re: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

If there is no objection, I would like to change these ports effective from
1.7 release onwards (fixed for the 1.7 release as well).

I am already in the process of registering these ports with IANA.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Oooooppppsssee......

Yeah of course 1.2 :-)

Thanks,
Ruwan

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you mean the 1.2 release :)
>
> Yes I'm +1.
>
> Paul
>
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If there is no objection, I would like to change these ports effective
> from
> > 1.7 release onwards (fixed for the 1.7 release as well).
> >
> > I am already in the process of registering these ports with IANA.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ruwan
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I think we better call a proper vote for this, What do you think Paul?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ruwan

> by
> Tomcat
> when
> for

> >> --
> >> Ruwan Linton
> >> http://www.wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
> >

> > --
> > Ruwan Linton
> > http://www.wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
> >

> --
> Paul Fremantle
> Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
> Apache Synapse PMC Chair
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Ruwan Linton

Re: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

These two ports seem to fit the most for synapse and I have created a JIRA
to change these ports for the 1.2 release.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNAPSE-326

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
+1 for 8280 and 8243

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
+1 for 8280 and 8243

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Carranza <ma...@gmail.com>.
>OpenSSL, 4443 => 4433
Oops, typo, and off-topic but:  I've seen 4443 and 4343 widely used for
alternate SSL ports. I believe 4433 is OpenSLL's default install port.
Evidence of confusion to avoid, but point already taken...

Posted by Mark Carranza <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Carranza <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Carranza <ma...@gmail.com>.

AW: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <er...@jamba.net>.
Hi Ruwan,

ok, sounds good. I'm not aware of something well known and widely used which uses port 8243. So I'm +1 on this. ;-)

________________________________

Ooopppseee, I just realized that I missed the dev list from my original reply,

Cc:ing dev list

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Cc:ing dev list

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Cc:ing dev list

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Paul, but 4433 is not listed even there.

Anyway I checked 8243 there and it seems OK.

Mark/Eric and all, what do you think about 8243 as the https port.

Thanks,
Ruwan

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ruwan
>
> This page is useful because it shows common usage as well as official
> assignment:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers
>
> Eric - based on the usual Apache rules we actually encourage you to
> vote. Ok I know this sounds wierd, but seriously the way that Apache
> works is that it encourages everyone in the community to vote, but for
> certain decisions only committers or PMC members are legally "binding
> votes" according to Apache rules. But, of course, the voting still is
> important information. Usually Apache votes don't end up in a "count"
> because we work towards consensus, so for most situations, we take all
> the input of the community, binding or not.
>
> Paul
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hhhmmm.... :-(
> >
> > I just checked the IANA [1] registered ports and found that 4433 is not
> > registered.
> >
> > Anyway I think openssl is widely used and we should change it, how about
> > 8243 (I don't like consecutive ports to be used as http and https) ports
> end
> > with 43 gives you some meaning of https because 443 is the default https
> > port :-)
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > [1] - http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> >
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM, Hubert, Eric <er...@jamba.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, yes - Mark is right about that.

> >> Or
> >>

> > --
> > Ruwan Linton
> > http://www.wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
> >

> --
> Paul Fremantle
> Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
> Apache Synapse PMC Chair
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Ruwan Linton

Re: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Ruwan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hhhmmm.... :-(

--
Ruwan Linton

RE: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <er...@jamba.net>.

Posted by Mark Carranza <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Synapse newbie here.

--
Mark Carranza
Software Design and Development

RE: Changing default HTTP, HTTPS ports of Synapse to unused numbers

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <er...@jamba.net>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.