Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Robert J. Lebowitz" <le...@finaltouch.com> on 2003/04/15 06:27:06 UTC

Using James behind a firewall

I've been doing this with sendmail for many years, but now I'm experimenting
with James, and can't quite seem to get it to work correctly.

I run iptables to filter out unwanted requests to my servers on a private
LAN.  My mail server has an MX entry for a legitimate IP address.  IPtables
takes any packets destined for port 25 on that ip address, and translates
them to a private ip address on the 192.168.1.x network.

The problem I'm seeing is that I can't seem to get James to accept the
incoming connections properly.  I actually need to be able to communicate
with James, using it for SMTP / POP3 from the private network, and POP3 from
outside my firewall.  I have an internal and external DNS.

Can someone explain how to configure James for this purpose?

Rob

Re[2]: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Miroslav Nachev <mi...@space-comm.com>.
   Hi,

   It's look like XML Editor. If the diferent possibilities are
separated with Tabs will be better. For example the part for SMTP
Server, POP3 Server, Mailets, etc.

   Best Regards,
   Miroslav Nachev

Re[4]: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Miroslav Nachev <mi...@space-comm.com>.
   Also, when there is some link to other Config Resource like JDBC
Repository XML file the file have to be load automaticaly. For the
user must be no diference which type of repository is used.

   Miro.

RE: Re[4]: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Robert Cadena <ro...@machine501.com>.
Right, that's why you can register views with the editor, otherwise it's
just an xml editor.

If you open the jamesconfig.props you'll see these properties:

service_node.James.editor=com.machine501.james.config.nodes.james.JamesNode

If you remove this, then the James Editor on the left will not appear and
instead will be replaced by the default node editor, which just edits XML.
So the immediate goal is to create views (or editors) for the top nodes in
the app. If you notice, for example, the POP3 Server node doesn't show the
subnodes - the editor implemented for that
(com.machine501.james.config.nodes.pop3server.POP3ServerNode) hides the
subnodes, like you suggested.

In this way mailet authors, for example, can provide editor implementation
for their own mailets, and the editor can be appropriately updated without
some central body having to do this.

Good luck and thanks for trying it out.

/r

RE: Re[2]: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Robert Cadena <ro...@machine501.com>.
You can edit the

	jamesconfig.props and set the
	"last_open_path" property to the one you want.

But it will automatically save the path of the last file you opened.

/r

Posted by Miroslav Nachev <mi...@space-comm.com>.

RE: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Robert Cadena <ro...@machine501.com>.
That's a great idea!   Let me look into opening and saving from different
sources.  As for the undo functionality and in terms of my app, were you
thinking of undo per action or in each field, or simply a revert?
Autobackup and such are features I'll look into as well.

This is encouraging, if at least because there's one use :).

The interesting thing about this app, too, is that it can be used to edit
all sorts of other xml config files.

Other things I'm looking into including for this app is the ability to open
up a listener socket to listen for james log output, incorporating the
manager interface, and maybe even starting and restarting from inside the
app.

Thanks.

/r

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Ah, sorry, forget my last mail. It is called when the server is started,
as it should. Time to make a break, I guess .-()

Stephan

James Tutorial

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi list,
I am currently writing an extended tutorial about James, while I am
learning to use it. Still in 'first draft mode', without having
proofread it even once (so no need to mail me about all those spelling
and grammatic mistakes), but it will grow real fast over the easter
weekend and might be helpful to somebody.

http://rzserv2.fhnon.de/~lg002556/james/

Stephan

RE: James Configuration Tool

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> The tool would be much more usefull if it included a FTP module.

Or DAV.

Mind you, JMX is the right way to do all of this sort of thing.

	--- Noel

RE: James Configuration Tool

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Steve Caum <st...@caumfamily.com>.
I've started testing out the James Configuration Tool, and found a few
problems.  It seems to work OK for changing values of existing parameters.
But, if you try to add nodes, or remove nodes, it doesn't save them out
correctly.  Might want to look into it.

Steve
Posted by Steve Caum <st...@caumfamily.com>.
I'm one of those who prefers a nice UI to manually editing the XML.  I like
some of the suggestions that have been offered, and hope you continue to
evolve this into a really strong tool for folks like me.  Any reason why
this couldn't be adopted by the James project as a sub-project?  That way,
others could contribute.

One small thing I noted.  On the 'main config' tab, you have created a
check-box for 'Case Sensitive'.  You need to either inverse the logic, or
change the label to 'Ignore Case Sensitivity'.

Thanks again.

btw.  I use MySql for a data store.  If you plan to create additional views

RE: RE : James Configuration Tool

Posted by Robert Cadena <ro...@machine501.com>.
Alright, I'll look into the RMI user manager thing or the plain old socket
one and add it as part of the config tool.

/r

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.

RE: Javadoc for James 3.0a1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
The online Javadocs reflect CVS HEAD, which has some changes (and will
change more before it is stable).  The javadocs included in the v2x
distribution cover that stable version of the API.

	--- Noel

Javadoc for James 3.0a1

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi list,
the Java API (http://james.apache.org/javadocs/index.html)
states that it is for James 3.0a1. This, however, can not be downloaded?
Cost me quite some time, searching for errors in my code, until I
realised that the James classes didn't support the behaviour I wanted ,
yet. :-(

Stephan

RE: Sending to a domain while doing fetchpop

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Marc,

Danny has used FetchPOP more than I, but ...

> 1) I pick up mails from another pop3 box (ex: mybox@otherdomain.com)
>    therefore I have to include the domain of that box in the
>    <servernames> tag (ex: otherdomain.com).

OK.  But not necessarily true.

> 2) When sending mails to other users on the same domain
>    (ex: afriend@otherdomain.com) they are picked up by
>    James because the domain is included in the
>    <servernames> tag. James tries to deliver these mails
>    locally.

So you are picking up e-mail for @otherdomain.com both from FetchPOP and
directly.

> 3) The mails that are sent from James are not matched by
>    the FetchedFrom matcher (because they are not fetched
     from the remote pop3 server).

Right.  They are generated locally, or come in via the SMTP handler.

4) To catch these outbound mails it is necessary to add a HostIs
   matcher and then deliver them using RemoteDelivery.

The code that you reported is:

  <processor name="fetchprocessor">
    <mailet match="RecipientIs=localuser@domain" class="Redirect">
      <recipients>localuser</recipients>
      <passThrough>FALSE</passThrough>
    </mailet>

    <mailet match="RecipientIs=externaluser@domain" class="RemoteDelivery">
      <outgoing>file://var/mail/fetchrepository/</outgoing>
    </mailet>
  </processor>

It appears that you are peeling off local users, and sending the rest using
the MX record for that domain.  Seems to me that you could simply do this:

    <mailet match="All" class="JDBCVirtualUserTable">
    </mailet>

in your root processor, and remove otherdomain.com from your servername
list.

JDBCVirtualUserTable (or the recently posted non-JDBC analogue or a list of
Redirect mailets like in your example) would map from the fetched address to
a local address, and since the remaining addresses would not be for a local
domain, RemoteDelivery would handle them.

	--- Noel

Re: Sending to a domain while doing fetchpop

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
No, that is not what I am trying to address.
1) I pick up mails from another pop3 box (ex: mybox@otherdomain.com)
therefore I have to include the domain of that box in the <servernames> tag
(ex: otherdomain.com).
2) When sending mails to other users on the same domain (ex:
afriend@otherdomain.com) they are picked up by James because the domain is
included in the <servernames> tag. James tries to deliver these mails
locally.
3) The mails that are sent from James are not matched by the FetchedFrom
matcher (because they are not fetched from the remote pop3 server).
4) To catch these outbound mails it is necessary to add a HostIs matcher and
then deliver them using RemoteDelivery.
Does my explanation make sence?
Sincerely,
Marc

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Marc

> Maybe the warning should be refrased.

I think you are right.

The trouble with fetch pop is that it is really doing things that it shouldn't be, it "hijacks" mail which it also still appears to belong on another host.

What we have to do is either handle all of that mail locally, which we use the servername for, or we have to distingush between fetched mail and outgoing mail to the same domain and handle them differently, which is what the FetchedFrom attribute is for.

As the servername case is easier to explain I put that in the config to prevent new users getting in a Big Mess.

I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention to your problem earlier, and I'm glad you've worked it out.

d.

Re: Sending to a domain while doing fetchpop

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
Thanks, I like your solution better. I only included the <servername> tag
because the config file has the following warning:
<!--  Warning: If you are using fetchpop it is important to include
e   -->
<!--  fetched domains in the server name list to prevent
         -->

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
sort of..

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
  Below is the kind of documentation that I needed when setting this up.

  Sincerely,

  Marc

  When sending mails to users of a domain that is partly managed by James
the mails are sent through the root process to try to deliver them locally.
In case mails are being sent to an external account using a domain partly
managed by James it is necessary to add a HostIs matcher to redirect the
mail management to the fetchprocessor mentioned above, like this:

       <mailet match="HostIs=hostname" class="ToProcessor">
<processor>fetchprocessor</processor>
</mailet>

  Where hostname is the name of the domain used by FetchPOP.

  The fetchprocessor should then have mailets for managing both mails to
local users and to remote users. A simple example of a fetchprocessor that
can receive mails for one local user and send mails to one external user
could look like this:

       <processor name="fetchprocessor"> <mailet
match="RecipientIs=localuser@domain" class="Redirect">
<recipients>localuser</recipients>  <passThrough>FALSE</passThrough>
</mailet> <mailet match="RecipientIs=externaluser@domain"
class="RemoteDelivery">
match="All" class="Null"/></processor>

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I think I narrowed down the problem. It seems that the FetchedFrom matcher
suggested in the documentation is not recognising the mail to be send (which
I guess is ok). By adding a HostIs matcher the problem went away:

         <mailet match="FetchedFrom=dylan.dk" class="ToProcessor">
           <processor>fetchdylanprocessor</processor>
         </mailet>
         <mailet match="HostIs=dylan.dk" class="ToProcessor">
           <processor>fetchdylanprocessor</processor>
         </mailet>

It might be appropriate to include this in the documentation that explains
"Handling a Subset of a Domain's Mail" (under "FetchPop Configuration").

Thanks for the help, Noel!

Sincerely,
Marc

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I have turned on DEBUG on the spoolmanager log and the resulting output
related to mail 1051039499263-1 is attached to this mail. I have also
included the line from the mailet log file that indicates that the mail
generates an error and the mail itself (below).

I would really appreciate  some feedback that could help me resolve this
problem.

Sincerely,
Marc

mailet log file:
22/04/03 21:25:00 INFO  James.Mailet: ToRepository: Storing mail
Mail1051039499263-1 in file://var/mail/error/

the mail in "var/mail/error":
From: "Marc de Oliveira" <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>
To: "Marc de Oliveira" <Ma...@dylan.dk>
Subject: test 7
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:24:58 +0200

test 7

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I am not sure what I should be able to see in the log file. What I can see
is the following from the spoolmanager, remotemanager and smtpserver log
files indicating that the mail was supposedly delivered for marc@dylan.dk.
Yet, the external marc@dylan.dk account does not receive anything... :-(

spoolmanager log file:
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  spoolmanager: Matcher RecipientIs=marc@dylan.dk
instantiated.
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  spoolmanager: Mailet RemoteDelivery instantiated.

remotemanager log file:
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  remotemanager: Remote Manager Service uses default
thread group.
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  remotemanager: Remote Manager Service is running on:
WEB
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  remotemanager: Remote Manager Service handler hello
name is: WEB
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  remotemanager: Remote Manager Service handler
connection timeout is: 60000
22/04/03 17:27:06 INFO  remotemanager: Remote Manager Service started
plain:4555

smtpserver log file:
22/04/03 17:27:10 INFO  smtpserver: Connection from WEB (192.168.1.37)
22/04/03 17:27:11 INFO  smtpserver: Successfully spooled mail from
Marc@deOliveira.dk for [Marc@dylan.dk]

I did change the name of the outgoing repository but it does not seem to
make any difference:

         <mailet match="RecipientIs=marc@dylan.dk" class="RemoteDelivery">
           <outgoing>file://var/mail/dylan/</outgoing>
           <debug>true</debug>
         </mailet>

Currently I am not able to send mails to anybody on the dylan.dk domain. Is

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Marc de Oliveira <Ma...@deOliveira.dk>.
I am reading mails from an external server using fetchpop it seems to work
just fine. But I just realized that when sending mails to other accounts on
that external server James tries to handle them. That results in the message
"We were unable to deliver the attached message because of an error in the
mail server." obviously because James does not have a local account for that
user.

The situation seem to be described in the James documentation but I can't
seem to quite understand how I should make it work.

The documentation claims that one must redirect the fetchpop mails to a
seperate processor, like this:

<mailet match="FetchedFrom=dylan.dk" class="ToProcessor">

<processor>fetchdylanprocessor</processor>

</mailet>

<processor name="fetchdylanprocessor">

<mailet match="RecipientIs=ellen@dylan.dk" class="RemoteDelivery">

<outgoing>file://var/mail/outgoing/</outgoing>

</mailet>

</processor>

But this setup still does not deliver the mails to ellen@dylan.dk remotely.
I must be missing something. Can anybody help me out?

Sincerely,

Marc de Oliveira

RE: Ghost Mails

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Mail.GHOST is an indicator that the message is to be deleted.

	--- Noel

Ghost Mails

Posted by ak...@eurosoftindia.com.
hi

i want to know what is this Ghost mail is.......as I see the logs of
spoolmanger i come across the ghost mail.The related problem is that when
I start the fetchPop utility some of the mails are fetched and get
tranfered to the respective local account but some mails are lost in this
transition i know they are  not spam mails but is it that they are ghost
mails that is y or any other reason.......

THE LOG READ IN THE SPOOLMANAGER LOG FILE IS

22/12/02 15:02:35 DEBUG spoolmanager: Processed Mail1040549486860-1
through transport
22/12/02 15:02:35 DEBUG spoolmanager: Result was ghost

Please Suggest

Thanks & Bye
Akshay

Re: config.xml dtd

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Thought so, any reason there is not? I keep misspelling things or doing
them in the wrong order and getting ugly runtime errors because of that.
A DTD would help greatly.

Stephan

RE: config.xml dtd

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

config.xml dtd

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi list,
can I download the DTD for config.xml somewhere?

Stephan

Re: How to forward a mail from a Mailet

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I have something slightly different in mind

I just wanted you to see the forwarding mechanism used in that code.

Actually, a lot of the existing mailets, including JDBCVirtualUserTable,
should be redone to subclass Redirect.  Redirect needs a bit of work from
its current state, but otherwise that consolidates the code into one place.

Likewise, JDBCVirtualUserTable and Robert Cadena's new virtual user table
class could share a common base.  The distinction between them would then be
in the actual mapping method.

	--- Noel

Re: How to forward a mail from a Mailet

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi Noel,
thanks for the tip. I have something slightly different in mind, but I
am looking at your code and certainly learned something from it.

Stephan

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi list,
I try to let my Mailet forward a mail based on a mapping.
I am stuck since hours and running out of ideas :-(
What I did manage is to create a new message with the contents of the
old one and send that, but then I would have to delete the old one and
don't know how to do that?

Stephan

RE : James Configuration Tool

James Configuration Tool

Re: What do these codes do?

Posted by Marko Kranjcic <ml...@wave-tech.com>.
Sorry for last email...
Mistaken replay...

Marko Kranjcic

e-mail: marko@wave-tech.com
web: www.wave-tech.com
ICQ # : 43046169
Office: +385 1 36 44 108
Cell: +385 91 205 32 35

Posted by Marko Kranjcic <ml...@wave-tech.com>.
Darko

Marko Kranjcic

e-mail: marko@wave-tech.com
web: www.wave-tech.com
ICQ # : 43046169
Office: +385 1 36 44 108
Cell: +385 91 205 32 35

===============

Re: how to expand a james.sar file

Posted by Miroslav Nachev <mi...@space-comm.com>.
   Hi,

   JAMES.SAR is an ZIP file which can be extracted with WinZIP,
WinRAR, etc.

   Best Regards,
   Miroslav Nachev

how to expand a james.sar file

Posted by ak...@eurosoftindia.com.
hi

i want to know how to expand a james.sar file

bye
akshay

Re: What do these codes do?

Posted by Stephan Wiesner <st...@stephan-wiesner.de>.
Hi Carlos,
that sounds very annoying?
As you can read here: http://james.apache.org/custom_mailet_2_1.html
that is not necessary.

If you are not in a hurry, you might want to wait a day or two. I am
currently writing an extended Tutorial about the usage of James and am
focusing on writing Mailets.

Stephan

Re: What do these codes do?

Posted by Carlos Cortés del Valle <cc...@redauto.com>.