Posted to users@camel.apache.org by "tim.jones" <ti...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/30 16:19:42 UTC

Camel-Kafka avro schema registry & (de)serializers configuration in spring-boot

Hi

Using the confluent schema registry for the avro schemas and wanted to use
camel-kafka (with spring-boot) , but can't work out how to introduce the
schema.registry.url, as it is not a URI option.

How can I include this property, such that it is picked up both by
Camel-kafka producers and consumers properly?

Is there also something I should know about correctly specifying the kafka
avro serializers in the serializerClass &  keySerializerClass in camel-kafka
producer options and the  keyDeserializer & valueDeserializer in the
consumer options?

(there does not seem to be a one-to-one mapping between these camel-kafka
options (i.e.  camel.apache.org Kafka-ProducerOptions
<http://camel.apache.org/kafka.html#Kafka-ProducerOptions(Camel2.17ornewer)>
) and the config options on the kafka website i.e.  kafka.apache.org
ewproducerconfigs
<http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#newproducerconfigs>  )

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Re: Camel-Kafka avro schema registry & (de)serializers configuration in spring-boot

Posted by "tim.jones" <ti...@gmail.com>.
Claus

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this camel newbie.

The schema registry url is the host & port for the schema registry, which
allows the KafkaAvroSerializer
(io.confluent.kafka.serializers.KafkaAvroSerializer) to look up the schema
used to serialize and deserialise an avro message, to avoid the need to
include this information with each message.  See
http://docs.confluent.io/current/app-development.html#java  and
http://docs.confluent.io/current/schema-registry/docs/intro.html
<http://docs.confluent.io/current/schema-registry/docs/intro.html#>

There is another thread on camel-users where some other people have been
trying get around the “Schema Registry Url problem”
http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/Camel-2-17-Kafka-SSL-Producer-and-Consumer-td5779947.html
which
seems to suggest that the way to achieve this is to implement custom
KafkaAvroDeserializer (& by extension also a  KafkaAvroDeserializer) in
which to pass in the URL of the schema registry, which seems rather
complicated, but perhaps this is the only way?

Regards,

Tim

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "tim.jones" <ti...@gmail.com>.
Claus

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:19 PM, tim.jones <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Using the confluent schema registry for the avro schemas and wanted to use
> camel-kafka (with spring-boot) , but can't work out how to introduce the
> schema.registry.url, as it is not a URI option.
>
> How can I include this property, such that it is picked up both by
> Camel-kafka producers and consumers properly?
>
> Is there also something I should know about correctly specifying the kafka
> avro serializers in the serializerClass &  keySerializerClass in camel-kafka
> producer options and the  keyDeserializer & valueDeserializer in the
> consumer options?
>
> (there does not seem to be a one-to-one mapping between these camel-kafka
> options (i.e.  camel.apache.org Kafka-ProducerOptions
> <http://camel.apache.org/kafka.html#Kafka-ProducerOptions(Camel2.17ornewer)>
> ) and the config options on the kafka website i.e.  kafka.apache.org
> ewproducerconfigs
> <http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#newproducerconfigs>  )
>

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Tim

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

I: Camel-Kafka avro schema registry & (de)serializers configuration in spring-boot

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Inviato da Yahoo Mail su Android

  Il mar, 30 mag, 2017 alle 20:31, Andrea Cosentino<an...@yahoo.com> ha scritto:   Are you planning to use Kafka connect? Se currently don't support it

Inviato da Yahoo Mail su Android

  Il mar, 30 mag, 2017 alle 18:41, tim.jones<ti...@gmail.com> ha scritto:   Hi

Re: Re: Camel-Kafka avro schema registry & (de)serializers configuration in spring-boot

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
It looks like the schema.registry.url comes only from Kafka Confluent distribution.

There are no references to this option in

http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#producerconfigs

and in the kafka code too.

We currently support Apache Kafka distribution and not the Confluent distribution.
--
Andrea Cosentino

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:52 AM, Tim Jones <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks :-)

Posted by Tim Jones <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks :-)

R: Re: Camel-Kafka avro schema registry & (de)serializers configuration in spring-boot