Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2016/08/12 08:23:39 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Sling XSS Protection Bundle 1.0.12

Hi,

The vote is still ongoing for V1.0.10 of the same module, but we
should have waited for another small fix that's included in this
release. No big deal.

We solved 1 issue in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/12338062

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesling-1500/

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the signatures:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh 1500 /tmp/sling-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

  [ ] +1 Approve the release
  [ ]  0 Don't care
  [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

This majority vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Here's my +1.

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling XSS Protection Bundle 1.0.12

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
+1, all signatures check out.
Ian

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Friday 12 August 2016 10:23:39 Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The vote is still ongoing for V1.0.10 of the same module, but we
> should have waited for another small fix that's included in this
> release. No big deal.
>
> We solved 1 issue in this release:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING/fixforversion/12338062

+1

O.

Re: XSS bundle is broken in trunk

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:

> On Friday 26 August 2016 13:14:01 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Karl Pauls wrote:
> > > Well, you cant't have only one place as each module needs to be able to
> > > (if
> > > needed) declare what other licensed code it contains. You can only do
> that
> > > for bundles that don't have anything to declare which actually (at
> least
> > > in
> > > theory) we have - that is the point of the appended-resources. You
> > > over-right LICENSE and NOTICE on a case by case basis when it is needed
> > > (i.e., the module contains external/differently licensed code).
> > >
> > > At least, appended-resources is what we probably should be using for
> that
> > > -
> > > however, as far as I can see a lot of bundles do follow a different
> > > approach (probably for historic reasons) namely, they duplicate the
> > > LICENSE
> > > and NOTICE files in the root of the bundle svn dir and inside
> > > src/main/resources/META-INF. In the case of the css bundle, it was
> > > probably
> > > forgotten to do the duplication.
> >
> > Yes, that's for historic reasons and we simply never went through the
> > whole code base to use appended-resources.
> >
> > > Obviously, that is probably not the best way to do it - hence, if you
> are
> > > talking about clean-up I would recommend to rework all bundles to have
> > > their LICENSE and NOTICE appended by default and override it on a case
> by
> > > case basis via appended-resources if needed. I don't think we are
> talking
> > > about a lot of work in that regard so if others think it is worthwhile
> we
> > > might want to create a JIRA issues to list what bundles needed to be
> > > changed and just do it in one go (If others agree, I'd be willing to
> look
> > > into it)...
> >
> > That would be awesome, +1 :)
>
> Indeed, much appreciated!
>
> O.
>
> > Carsten

Ok, I'll try to get to it before too long.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: XSS bundle is broken in trunk

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Friday 26 August 2016 13:14:01 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Karl Pauls wrote:
> > Well, you cant't have only one place as each module needs to be able to
> > (if
> > needed) declare what other licensed code it contains. You can only do that
> > for bundles that don't have anything to declare which actually (at least
> > in
> > theory) we have - that is the point of the appended-resources. You
> > over-right LICENSE and NOTICE on a case by case basis when it is needed
> > (i.e., the module contains external/differently licensed code).
> >
> > At least, appended-resources is what we probably should be using for that
> > -
> > however, as far as I can see a lot of bundles do follow a different
> > approach (probably for historic reasons) namely, they duplicate the
> > LICENSE
> > and NOTICE files in the root of the bundle svn dir and inside
> > src/main/resources/META-INF. In the case of the css bundle, it was
> > probably
> > forgotten to do the duplication.
>
> Yes, that's for historic reasons and we simply never went through the
> whole code base to use appended-resources.
>
> > Obviously, that is probably not the best way to do it - hence, if you are
> > talking about clean-up I would recommend to rework all bundles to have
> > their LICENSE and NOTICE appended by default and override it on a case by
> > case basis via appended-resources if needed. I don't think we are talking
> > about a lot of work in that regard so if others think it is worthwhile we
> > might want to create a JIRA issues to list what bundles needed to be
> > changed and just do it in one go (If others agree, I'd be willing to look
> > into it)...
>
> That would be awesome, +1 :)

Indeed, much appreciated!

O.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Karl Pauls wrote:

> Well, you cant't have only one place as each module needs to be able to (if
> needed) declare what other licensed code it contains. You can only do that
> for bundles that don't have anything to declare which actually (at least in
> theory) we have - that is the point of the appended-resources. You
> over-right LICENSE and NOTICE on a case by case basis when it is needed
> (i.e., the module contains external/differently licensed code).
>
> At least, appended-resources is what we probably should be using for that -
> however, as far as I can see a lot of bundles do follow a different
> approach (probably for historic reasons) namely, they duplicate the LICENSE
> and NOTICE files in the root of the bundle svn dir and inside
> src/main/resources/META-INF. In the case of the css bundle, it was probably
> forgotten to do the duplication.

Yes, that's for historic reasons and we simply never went through the
whole code base to use appended-resources.

> Obviously, that is probably not the best way to do it - hence, if you are
> talking about clean-up I would recommend to rework all bundles to have
> their LICENSE and NOTICE appended by default and override it on a case by
> case basis via appended-resources if needed. I don't think we are talking
> about a lot of work in that regard so if others think it is worthwhile we
> might want to create a JIRA issues to list what bundles needed to be
> changed and just do it in one go (If others agree, I'd be willing to look
> into it)...
That would be awesome, +1 :)

Carsten

Re: XSS bundle is broken in trunk (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling XSS Protection Bundle 1.0.12)

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: XSS bundle is broken in trunk (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling XSS Protection Bundle 1.0.12)

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think I finally fixed this in https://svn.apache.org/r1757708. I've run a
test with the SNAPSHOT version and everything works as expected.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
Radu

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Radu,

Posted by Radu Cotescu <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Sling XSS Protection Bundle 1.0.12

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Karl,

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks to me like there is some
inconsistency with the NOTICE and LICENSE going on - namely,

the NOTICE in the source release states that it:

 "includes software developed by the The Open Web Application Security
Project (https://www.owasp.org/)"

(but the source release doesn't actually include any) while the NOTICE of
the resulting binary (i.e., the jar file) _does not_ say that (but the
binary does actually include it).

Likewise, the LICENSE of the source release lists the relevant licenses and
copyrights which are actually included in the binary but the
META-INF/LICENSE of the binary doesn't.

It seems to me that at a minimum the NOTICE and LICENSE of the source
release should be used for the binary as well, no?

regards,

Karl

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com