Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/05/26 08:32:47 UTC

JIRA proposal for plugins

Hi,

Given the resounding mess that resulted from giving each plugin its own
project in JIRA for m1, I'd like to propose the following for m2:

- create a maven-plugins project
- add new plugins as components
- add a "component version" field that is free text.

Upside:
- more manageable
- can still query per plugin/per version as long as the text is well formed

Downside:
- can't use roadmap etc
- can't bulk change version for scheduling

In general, I don't think this is a problem - I think that plugins tend
to have very few bugs assigned to them at any given time if they are
being looked after (xdoc is an exception as it is basically a product
unto itself in m1).

Thoughts? Should we move towards this in m1 too, or just let them wind
down over time?

- Brett

Re: JIRA proposal for plugins

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Stephane Nicoll wrote:

>If you guys can afford one projet per plugin, I would suggest to go
>that way.

I don't think we can afford to add any more, but we could probably reuse
the m1 plugins with new version identifiers... I'd just find that very
confusing as they are completely different, for the most part.

>Maybe, we can give differents rights to different people
>(e.g. one project manager per plugin).

This doesn't happen in practice (different leads - perhaps, but you can
have component leads).

>Have you thinked of Fix For Version? I agree with Vincent when he says
>that plugins do not share the same dev/release lifecycle.

That was the downside I mentioned.

>Maybe you can create a 'maven2 plugins' category in Jira?

The problems I'm seeing with the multiple plugins in JIRA are:
- version management not always done when releases are, especially when
a batch are done together as it takes a lot of time to do. Free text
would allow users to specify what they are actually using
- can't query across a group of plugins without querying across every
project in JIRA (it's concept of a project group is essentially
useless). This is a pain for developers, but even more so for users.

Because plugins are generally not getting a lot of bugs filed, and
releases rarely fix more than 5-10 issues, I don't think we're seeing
the benefits of having them separate.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
If you guys can afford one projet per plugin, I would suggest to go
that way. Maybe, we can give differents rights to different people
(e.g. one project manager per plugin).

Have you thinked of Fix For Version? I agree with Vincent when he says
that plugins do not share the same dev/release lifecycle.

Maybe you can create a 'maven2 plugins' category in Jira?

Cheers,
Stéphane

On 5/26/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the resounding mess that resulted from giving each plugin its own
> project in JIRA for m1, I'd like to propose the following for m2:
>
> - create a maven-plugins project
> - add new plugins as components
> - add a "component version" field that is free text.
>
> Upside:
> - more manageable
> - can still query per plugin/per version as long as the text is well formed
>
> Downside:
> - can't use roadmap etc
> - can't bulk change version for scheduling
>
> In general, I don't think this is a problem - I think that plugins tend
> to have very few bugs assigned to them at any given time if they are
> being looked after (xdoc is an exception as it is basically a product
> unto itself in m1).
>
> Thoughts? Should we move towards this in m1 too, or just let them wind
> down over time?
>
> - Brett

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: JIRA proposal for plugins

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 16:32 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the resounding mess that resulted from giving each plugin its own
> project in JIRA for m1, I'd like to propose the following for m2:
>
> - create a maven-plugins project
> - add new plugins as components
> - add a "component version" field that is free text.
>
> Upside:
> - more manageable
> - can still query per plugin/per version as long as the text is well formed
>
> Downside:
> - can't use roadmap etc
> - can't bulk change version for scheduling
>
> In general, I don't think this is a problem - I think that plugins tend
> to have very few bugs assigned to them at any given time if they are
> being looked after (xdoc is an exception as it is basically a product
> unto itself in m1).
>
> Thoughts? Should we move towards this in m1 too, or just let them wind
> down over time?

We could also just get our own instance of JIRA. I'm sure we could swing
that.

> - Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

RE: JIRA proposal for plugins

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Could you explain what you consider a mess? Personally, I've not seen any
issue but I can see the downsides of having a single JIRA project (basically
not the same release cycle).

Thanks
-Vincent