Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Mark Webb <ma...@adelphia.net> on 2003/02/23 21:18:35 UTC

hello

I would like to join the ant developers.  I have about 5 years of Java
programming experience, and would like to help out.  What I am currently
working on is an ant java preprocessor.  This task would work similarly
to how a C preprocessor works you would use #ifdef, #ifndef, #elif and
#else.  Has anyone tried to write such a task?

As someone who is starting out, I have a few questions.

1. is there anything specific that I could start on?
2. Is there a coding style format that must be followed?
3. Is there an IRC server/room that the developers talk on?

Thank you in advance for your help.  I hope I can return the favor in
the future.

Mark Webb

Re: hello

Posted by Jesse Stockall <je...@cryptocard.com>.
On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 10:14 PM, Mark Webb wrote:

> I have looked at the code that you suggested for me.  Thank you.
>
> I now need to figure out how to take a .java file, run it through my
> preprocessor, and write the file out somewhere so that it may be
> compiled by ant and the associated .class file placed in the proper
> location.  What other classes/functions should I be looking at?

Have a look at the thread entitled "Javac task design problems" the
recent posts deal specifically with preprocessing java code before
compiling it.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=104612165424024&w=2

Jesse Stockall - jesse@cryptocard.com
CRYPTOCard Corp.

Re: hello

Posted by Mark Webb <ma...@adelphia.net>.
I have looked at the code that you suggested for me.  Thank you.

I now need to figure out how to take a .java file, run it through my
preprocessor, and write the file out somewhere so that it may be
compiled by ant and the associated .class file placed in the proper
location.  What other classes/functions should I be looking at?

TIA for the help.

Re: hello

Re: hello

Posted by Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com>.
Hello,

Mark Webb wrote:
> I would like to join the ant developers.  I have about 5 years of Java
> programming experience, and would like to help out.  What I am currently
> working on is an ant java preprocessor.  This task would work similarly
> to how a C preprocessor works you would use #ifdef, #ifndef, #elif and
> #else.  Has anyone tried to write such a task?

Check out http://vpp.sourceforge.net/, a Velocity preprocessor.  The
syntax will be a little different than CCP but it should do what you
want.  With the <vppjavac> task, you can preprocess and compile in a
single step.

-Bill