Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu> on 2018/05/27 19:21:40 UTC

Re: Postgres JDBC driver

Hey Glenn,

Am Montag, den 23.04.2018, 06:22 -0500 schrieb Glenn Holmer:
> The Postgres driver shipped with NetBeans is several years old. Any
> chance that could be updated for 9.0?

I'm not sure when I'll have time to look at this. I doubt, that it will
make it into Netbeans 9.0. I opened NETBEANS-870 to track this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-870

From my POV this might be a good issue to work on as an outsider. What
needs to be done:

- get an updated driver
- check the license
- update the db.drivers module with the new binary and updated license
- get it reviewed and merged

If anyone wants to do it, I'll review.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.
The advantage there is having the driver already wrapped by an NBM,

> right? Is that a lot easier to do than downloading and activating a jar
> file?

There's a lot to be said for "batteries included".

That said, my meta-update-center project generates a NetBeans module server
side. It wouldn't be all that hard to adapt that code to take a list of
jdbc jar maven urls and generate nbms for each, or one nbm bundling several.

-Tim

http://timboudreau.com

Re: AW: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.05.2018, 08:59 -0500 schrieb Glenn Holmer:
> On 05/30/2018 06:18 AM, Josh Juneau wrote:
> > +1 to including a "Driver" plugin update center.
>
> Couldn't we just get them from Maven Central (with the appropriate
> license confirmation dialog)? Do we already have code that can do that?
> What does it take to set up an update center? Do we have plans for how
> to do that moving forward with e.g. NetBeans plugins and patch updates?
>
> > It would be great if NetBeans could get away from packaging the
> > drivers, as it freezes the release in time unless one decides to
> > overwrite the JAR files that ship with the release.
>
> Yes, that's my biggest objection to bundling the drivers; you'd have to
> hunt down all the latest versions for every NetBeans release (although
> presumably the NetCAT db tribe could do that). Of course, an update
> center would have the same issue (is there a way to ask Maven Central
> for the latest driver?).

I would try to use Maven Central to update drivers. In fact there is an
issue open for this:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-170

So if someone whats to work on this - feel free to do so. Important is,
that it must be clear for the user, that the files are not part of
netbeans, but are seperatedly downloaded and licensed (as nbjavac
explicitly show GPL on installation).

I have not yet analysed the samples on maven central, but I hope, that
they pubished artifacts hold license information in the POM and that
could be displayed.

BUT: NETBEANS-170 and NETBEANS-870 don't exclude each other. Updating
the postgresql driver is a good starter task, NETBEANS-170 will take
longer and will be more involved.

So if you want to update the postgresql driver I'm good with it, if you
want to tackle NETBEANS-170, that is also a good idea.

Greetings

Matthias

AW: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 05/30/2018 06:18 AM, Josh Juneau wrote:
> +1 to including a "Driver" plugin update center.

Couldn't we just get them from Maven Central (with the appropriate
license confirmation dialog)? Do we already have code that can do that?
What does it take to set up an update center? Do we have plans for how
to do that moving forward with e.g. NetBeans plugins and patch updates?

> It would be great if NetBeans could get away from packaging the
> drivers, as it freezes the release in time unless one decides to
> overwrite the JAR files that ship with the release.

Yes, that's my biggest objection to bundling the drivers; you'd have to
hunt down all the latest versions for every NetBeans release (although
presumably the NetCAT db tribe could do that). Of course, an update
center would have the same issue (is there a way to ask Maven Central
for the latest driver?).

Personally, wrt Postgres, I've always manually installed a local copy of
the latest driver (Services tab, Databases node, right-click Drivers and
select "New Driver...").

Re: AW: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 to including a "Driver" plugin update center.  It would be great if

wrote:

> Must we really include these drivers out of the box? It seems like a
> perfect candidate for an Apache-approved smaller plugin update center.
>
> We just publish these driver NBM wrappers in this plugin repository and
> the IDE will just ask the user if he wants to grab the latest online module
> for the database type they pick in some combobox GUI.
>
> Just an idea.
>
> --emi

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Re: AW: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.

AW: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.

Re: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Glenn,

Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.
On 05/29/2018 11:16 AM, Eirik Bakke wrote:
>> If Postgres is the last driver still bundled with NetBeans, are the
>> above steps even worth the effort?
>
> Other JDBC drivers which could be included, with Apache-compatible
> licenses: * Microsoft SQL Server:
> https://github.com/Microsoft/mssql-jdbc/tree/v6.5.2 * SQLite:
> https://github.com/xerial/sqlite-jdbc/tree/3.23.1
>
> The MySQL/MariaDB ones are GPL/LGPL and so can’t be bundled,
> unfortunately. I’d still say it would be worth bundling PostgreSQL,
> SQL Server, and SQLite.

My opinion is that it should be done consistently for every driver, i.e.
if they can't all be bundled, then come up with a solution that applies
to them all.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> If Postgres is the last driver still bundled with NetBeans, are the above steps even worth the effort?

Other JDBC drivers which could be included, with Apache-compatible licenses:
* Microsoft SQL Server: https://github.com/Microsoft/mssql-jdbc/tree/v6.5.2
* SQLite: https://github.com/xerial/sqlite-jdbc/tree/3.23.1

The MySQL/MariaDB ones are GPL/LGPL and so can’t be bundled, unfortunately. I’d still say it would be worth bundling PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and SQLite.

— Eirik

On 5/29/18, 9:16 AM, "Glenn Holmer" <ce...@kolabnow.com>> wrote:

On 05/27/2018 02:21 PM, Matthias Bläsing wrote:
Hey Glenn,
Am Montag, den 23.04.2018, 06:22 -0500 schrieb Glenn Holmer:
The Postgres driver shipped with NetBeans is several years old. Any
chance that could be updated for 9.0?
I'm not sure when I'll have time to look at this. I doubt, that it will
make it into Netbeans 9.0. I opened NETBEANS-870 to track this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-870
From my POV this might be a good issue to work on as an outsider. What

Postgres JDBC driver

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com>.