Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/05 01:59:01 UTC

Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Si and Leon and others,
I just started to look at some Ruby on Rails stuff and
was curious as to your impressions of what aspects of
OFBiz could not be replicated in RoR.  Or is it
possible to get off Java entirely?  How much of OFBiz
could be entirely reused vs. how much would just be
translating templates, etc?

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Alex Caudill wrote:
> The way I see it, a set of Ruby on Rails models which interface with OFBiz
> via SOAP seems like the path of least resistance at this particular
> moment. My intention was to use Rails to implement a much less complex,
> user-friendly web-facing
> application, using a subdomain-as-account-key model to handle
> multi-tenancy,
> while still managing backoffice operations with OFBiz itself.

Actually, there's a much simpler approach.

We've got a product that can run javascript(rhino), ruby(jruby),
php(quercus), java(janino), python(jython) as events, and velocity,
freemarker, and php as templates.  You can also run any standard servlet.

So, why invent some unique interface to connect separate processes
together, when you can just run these languages all inside java, and can
call java classes, methods, and objects directly?

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Alex Caudill <er...@gmail.com>.
http://jruby.codehaus.org/Milestones

It seems that JRuby is capable of running Rails in production mode. I'll try
to come up with some PoC for it sometime this week.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
and I'd just like to get more people involved in OFBiz, so if you'd
like to use Ruby, that's great too :)

I do think SOAP integration is the best way to go, by the way.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Aug 5, 2006, at 11:09 AM, David Welton wrote:

> I think some of the principals are applicable, but Java just isn't as
> dynamic as Ruby...  I don't know OFBiz' internals well enough to
> comment on specifics, but I definitely think that for the core guys,
> spending a few days with RoR to get some ideas would probably be a
> beneficial use of their time.  One of my favorite things about RoR,
> for instance, is "don't repeat yourself" - you write stuff only once,
> if possible, and the framework figures out the rest for you.  OFBiz
> tends to have the same, or similar names scattered all over the place.
> In most cases, you don't really want to configure stuff much... good
> defaults would work well enough.
>
> OTOH, OFBiz is pretty big, and what works in Rails might start to
> creak under such a big load.

This is a good point about the OFBiz framework, and is a nice
distinguishing factor comparing it to other tools. The intention is
not to have a minimal set of tools where you define a field once an
never again, but rather to have a true multi-tier enterprise
architecture with each tool taking care of a special purpose.

We do have things in place to allow higher level artifacts to
"inherit" or auto-define things based on lower level artifacts to
make this easier, but for more complicated software that is meant to
be customized, having it all in one place can be a real problem. It
limits flexibility and introduces unexpected side-effects, or to
avoid those side effects because of limited inherent re-usability it
forces you to reuse less and have in reality more redundancy...

So, the point of the way the OFBiz architecture is designed is to
support the type of software we are building: an extensive set of
base, best-practice applications that can be easily customized and
extended to meet the needs of a wide variety of businesses and
industries. This does lead to a lot more work required to tie pieces
together (hence a fairly large artifact reference diagram for the
framework), but every single one of those touch point becomes a point
of flexibility and re-usability in the bigger picture and becomes
worth many times the initial effort required to set it up in ease of
use and reuse later on. It's very much a big picture driven
architecture with business needs as the highest priority, and
technical elegance just under that.

Of course, to ease the inconvenience there are some tools that have
been discussed that will hopefully exist for navigating among OFBiz
artifacts, and even perhaps filling in missing ones and such. I
talked with J. Aaron Farr at OSCON and he has quite a bit of
experience with Eclipse plugin authoring and is interested in working
on this, so who knows... this may exist sooner (and free-er) than
expected.

-David

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> My curiosity is that there are several reasons why
> various people are attracted to this project
> 1) The data model (data layer)

Yes!

> 2) The framework (database manipulation, etc)

It works.

> 3) The applications (business logic)

Definitely.

> 4) The widgets (presentation layer)
> 5) and so on

The community - being able to interact with others who have similar
ideas and needs.

> The data model is what it is and can be used in any
> framework.

I'm a huge Ruby on Rails fan, and have basically switched to using it
for all my own stuff.  I think for a small application, it's
significantly more productive and efficient than the OFBiz framework.
However... I think you seem to have some misconceptions about RoR.
For instance, the OFBiz data model could not be used as is with RoR
because some tables have multiple primary keys, something that RoR
takes care of with an artificial primary key.

> The time consuming part of the business logic doesn't
> come from the lines of code, but the thought process.
> Since the thought process is fairly straight forward,
> rewriting the business logic in another language would
> be a fairly small project.

I'm skeptical.

> Half of the presentation layer (at least on the
> backend) is created automatically with RoR's scaffold.

I think you misunderstand what scaffolding gives you.  Its true value
is that it gives you a starting point, but it doesn't give you a final
version.  You would almost never want to put scaffolding code into
production.  What's handy about it is that it gives you a skeleton to
start modifying, which makes things quicker and easier because it's
very easy to see how things are done.

>  So, that's a fairly small project to translate with
> huge UI benefits compared to the OFBiz community
> project's current UI.

What I feel are the strengths of RoR are:

*) You use just enough code to say what you mean and no more.  Instead
of stuff like setVariable("foobar", foobar), you just have @foobar =
12, and you can use that in both the controller and the view.

*) It's so easy to get started and crank out functional code.

*) It's got a big, relatively intelligent development community.

What it doesn't have is the specific business knowledge that the OFBiz
community has.  Perhaps Java is also a performance win, as well.

> The discussion I'm after isn't so much about changing
> Java to RoR, but hypothetically what does one lose by
> leaving Java for RoR and can the apparent benefits of
> RoR be obtained in a Java based OFBiz?

I think some of the principals are applicable, but Java just isn't as
dynamic as Ruby...  I don't know OFBiz' internals well enough to
comment on specifics, but I definitely think that for the core guys,
spending a few days with RoR to get some ideas would probably be a
beneficial use of their time.  One of my favorite things about RoR,
for instance, is "don't repeat yourself" - you write stuff only once,
if possible, and the framework figures out the rest for you.  OFBiz
tends to have the same, or similar names scattered all over the place.
 In most cases, you don't really want to configure stuff much... good
defaults would work well enough.

OTOH, OFBiz is pretty big, and what works in Rails might start to
creak under such a big load.

> If the answer is that you don't lose much by switching
> to RoR and the benefits of RoR cannot be easily
> obtained in a Java based OFBiz, then the question
> should be about changing Java to RoR.  There seems to
> be a lot of interest in improving the UI in OFBiz, but
> not so much through the tools that currently exist.
> If you don't lose much with RoR on functionality, why
> reinvent the wheel, just throw on some new racing
> slicks ;)

My guess is that isn't likely to happen.  It probably just makes more
sense to start a RailsBiz project from the ground up in order to
structure things in such a way to conform to how rails does things.
It wouldn't be an easy undertaking, though...  There's a lot of
knowledge and experience wrapped up in OFBiz.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
massive changes that completely changes the nature of design, is an
indirect statement that it is wrong, IMHO.

Also I don't all the design criteria is covered so far.

I did a brief look at ROR. Like all high level language, it can lead to
  code bloat, at the machine level. Then you have to get into Code
optimization.
if you have been around the transition from C to C++ the generated code
went from 2k to 150K for simple apps. The means larger hardware, faster
CPU's and memory requirements.
It realize on cgi, which if not handled properly can leave gaping
security holes.

If you want to get into business logic and high level You can Use a
modeling system that then complies to web applications. Then you don't
even write as much as you do in ROR. However then you have to put the
energy in make the compiler efficient.

Guess what I am saying is there is no real good answer to have a end
result be fast, efficient, and easy to code. then you add need for security.

Chris Howe sent the following on 8/4/2006 10:17 PM:

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
I'm not saying that OFBiz is a small project or that
the original implementation weren't dificult or that
it the original implementation didn't take very
knowledgable people.

But once you know that a certain sequence of business
logic works, you can copy it into another language
fairly quickly.

If you take the catalog manager for example.  There
are 107 views. That probably equates to what? 5, 10,
15000 lines of code?  To repeat their functionality,
97 of them are handled by the scaffold in RoR.

That's removing every screen that's called and every
template or widget that that screen calls with 97
lines of code (itty bitty lines too).  Different
application's milage will vary of course.

wrote:

> [...]
> > should be about changing Java to RoR.  There seems
> > be a lot of interest in improving the UI in OFBiz,
> but
> > not so much through the tools that currently
> exist.
> > If you don't lose much with RoR on functionality,
> why
> > reinvent the wheel, just throw on some new racing
> > slicks ;)
> >
> > --- BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Not sure why as discussion about changing java to
> >> RoR.
> >> that is the same as saying change compiere to
> ofbiz.
> >>
> >> That would be one big undertaking, as it is now,
> >> there are enough people
> >> doing testing ofbiz.
> >> That I would think would be a more constructive
> >> discussion.
> >>

> >> Chris Howe sent the following on 8/4/2006 8:30

=== message truncated ===

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

RE: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Ryan Warnick <wa...@isp01.net>.
I've spent some time playing with RoR and it seems like the real value of
RoR is its ability to consume an "entity" definition and some UI artifacts
and then generate database tables, CRUD methods, and a web-based UI.  So,
based on my experience, I would tend to agree that there is a lot of overlap
with ofbiz functionality (entity engine, widgets, etc.).  On the other hand,
if the desire is to make Ruby (not RoR) available in ofbiz for implementing
services, etc., then that is a different story.

We have implemented several desktop-like applications by exposing ofbiz
services over JSON so that they can be consumed by an AJAX UI framework like
Dojo, GWT, Bindows, etc.  The real benefit here is being able to take entity
engine data structures maps and lists of maps and directly consume them on
the client side with very little glue code.  We also get the same benefit
going the other way (calling services).

Ryan

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: Ofbiz and Ruby on Rails

Posted by Leon Torres <le...@oss.minimetria.com>.
Yeah we've been looking into this kind of thing and talking to some people about
Rails and OFBiz.  This is actually a huge topic which might be better discussed