Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/07 18:27:44 UTC

405 method not allowed error

Hello-

I'm trying to checkout my working copy. using the following command:

svn co http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc .

I get the following error:
svn: PROPFIND request failed on /
svn: PROPFIND of / : 405: Method not allowed

Here's my relevent info: I can pass more if needed.

httpd.conf

user svn
group svnown

DocumentRoot /export/subserv/repos

Load Module dav_module
Load Module dav_svn_module
Load Module authz_svn_module

<Location /svn>
DAV svn
SVNPath /export/subserv/repos

#access policy
AuthzAVNAccessFile /etc/svn-access-file

#authenticate
Require valid-user

#how to authenticate
AuthType Basic
AuthName "repos"
AuthUserFile /etc/svn-auth-file
</Location>

<Directory /export/subserv/repos>
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

ls -l /export/subserv/repos
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown README
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown conf
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown dav
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown db
-rwxrw-r-- svn:svnown format
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown hooks
-rw-r--r-- svn:svnown index.html
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown locks
drwxrw-r-- svn:svnown pilot

Apache error log says:
Access denied 'username' PROPFIND svn:/

Apache access log says:
PROPFIND / HTTP/1.1 405 236 svn/1.0.4 neon/0.24.7

I can access the repository fine using my browser.
Any insight into what I'm doing wrong, or have misconfigured would be
helpful. Thanks.

-ecb

Re: 405 method not allowed error

Posted by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com>.
Problem fixed. There was no proxy in place (as I suspected), but I checked
the working copy URL and discovered it was from an old repos I used in my
initial subversion setup. An svn switch using the GUI client did the trick.

Here's what I did on the server:

1) svn status (to see my working copy)
2) svn cleanup (to remove any locks)
3) svn log (just to run an svn command)
4) svn list (to see the working copy directories)

on the client box:

1) svn switch (to new URL where I wanted the working copy)
2) svn add (to mark the additional files I wanted to add)
3) svn update (habit)
4) svn commit

It's working great now. Thanks

Posted by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com>.
I believe I'm on the right track now. I had an old working copy out on the
server. I can now run all of my svn related commands on the local server.
I'm still getting the same 405 error when I try to checkout or commit via
the Tortoise GUI on the client box. I can authenticate and view the file in
the repos browser.

Posted by Pim Bliek <pi...@frog.nl>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr>.
> I'm trying to checkout my working copy. using the following command:
>
> svn co http://hostname/svn/pilot/foldera/foo.doc .
>
> I get the following error:
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on /
> svn: PROPFIND of / : 405: Method not allowed

There may be a Web proxy between the Apache server and you.

Dimitri Papadopoulos