Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Hendrik Schumacher <hs...@activeframe.de> on 2010/09/16 12:32:09 UTC

How to handle (103) Software caused connection abort

Hi,

I am running mod_perl handlers under mod_perl 2.0.4 and apache 2.2.16.

Recently (probably after rebuilding with a more recent apache version - I
was using 2.2.9 before) I started frequently getting the following errors
in my error log:

Apache2::RequestIO::rflush: (103) Software caused connection abort

Apache2::RequestIO::print: (103) Software caused connection abort

After investigating it seems these errors are caused by a connection
aborted by the client (either due to a timeout or user action).

What bothers me is that this didnt happen to me before so I am not sure if
this is indeed working as intended (and I should catch the fatal error
with an eval) or if something is broken on my side.

If this is indeed how it works now, the description at
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html
on how to handle user aborts (by probing the connection with "\0"-bytes)
is no longer working. The print/rflush has to be wrapped with an eval. The
$r->connection->aborted may also be pretty useless then.

Could anyone clarify about this?

Thanks in advance, Hendrik