Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/29 10:48:57 UTC

pre maven 3.0 binaries available ?

Hi to all,

I wonder if there is pre maven 3.0 tarball available somewhere.

I still got problem with jaxws and maven embedded (in m2eclipse) and
reopened JIRA #3586 (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3586).

BTW, the embedded maven included in latest m2eclipse is pretty old now
and may be the bug is no more available, so I'd like to get/build
maven pre 3.0 to make another try.

Regards

Re: pre maven 3.0 binaries available ?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 29-Dec-08, at 11:15 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:

> 2008/12/29 Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>:
>>
>> On 29-Dec-08, at 4:48 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is pre maven 3.0 tarball available somewhere.
>>>
>>> I still got problem with jaxws and maven embedded (in m2eclipse) and
>>> reopened JIRA #3586 (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3586).
>>
>> You can reopen issues, and you probably set the fix version
>> unintentionally
>> but it's not going to be fixed for 3.0 alpha-1 so I've moved it out
>> to the
>> regression version which is alpha-3.
>
> Any date for alpha3 ?

Not as yet. I will probably try to settle on the dates once we're into
the iteration for a particular version and we see how it's going. I'm
going to try and time box for every couple of weeks but builds will
happen daily and once the alpha-1 comes out I'll try to keep a daily
report of fixes for particular daily builds all being aggregated for
the fixes in a particular release.

>>> BTW, the embedded maven included in latest m2eclipse is pretty old
>>> now
>>> and may be the bug is no more available, so I'd like to get/build
>>> maven pre 3.0 to make another try.
>>
>> We're not going to attempt this until alpha-2 at least.
>>
>> All the binaries are on the grid:
>>
>> https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/view/Maven%203.0.x/job/maven-3.0.x-bootstrap/
>>
>> But updating will take some work and we're not going to do it until
>> our new
>> QE resource starts with Sonatype on January 5th. Once we have a
>> massive
>> battery of automated tests we will attempt to update the version of
>> the
>> embedder. I don't think destabilizing what is presently used in m2e
>> is
>> prudent so we're trying to plan this as not to cause any
>> disruptions to
>> users.
>
> Well, I could wait a couple of week to test it.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: pre maven 3.0 binaries available ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
>  Jason, not sure if you remember, but m2eclipse allows to install embedder
> updates separately from the core.

>  So, can publish updated embedder for early adopters consumption and it
> will also help to catch incompatibilities in 3.0 earlier.

+1, I'll be happy to check them

Re: pre maven 3.0 binaries available ?

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

Jason van Zyl-5 wrote:

>> BTW, the embedded maven included in latest m2eclipse is pretty old now
>> and may be the bug is no more available, so I'd like to get/build
>> maven pre 3.0 to make another try.
>
> We're not going to attempt this until alpha-2 at least.

  Jason, not sure if you remember, but m2eclipse allows to install embedder
updates separately from the core.
  So, can publish updated embedder for early adopters consumption and it
will also help to catch incompatibilities in 3.0 earlier.

  regards,
  Eugene

Re: pre maven 3.0 binaries available ?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 29-Dec-08, at 4:48 AM, Henri Gomez wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I wonder if there is pre maven 3.0 tarball available somewhere.
>
> I still got problem with jaxws and maven embedded (in m2eclipse) and
> reopened JIRA #3586 (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3586).

You can reopen issues, and you probably set the fix version
unintentionally but it's not going to be fixed for 3.0 alpha-1 so I've
moved it out to the regression version which is alpha-3.

> BTW, the embedded maven included in latest m2eclipse is pretty old now
> and may be the bug is no more available, so I'd like to get/build
> maven pre 3.0 to make another try.

We're not going to attempt this until alpha-2 at least.

All the binaries are on the grid:

https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/view/Maven%203.0.x/job/maven-3.0.x-bootstrap/

But updating will take some work and we're not going to do it until
our new QE resource starts with Sonatype on January 5th. Once we have
a massive battery of automated tests we will attempt to update the
version of the embedder. I don't think destabilizing what is presently
used in m2e is prudent so we're trying to plan this as not to cause
any disruptions to users.

> Regards

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance