Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by David Glasser <gl...@apollographql.com> on 2021/09/02 06:51:25 UTC

Re: ItemsSketch Aggregator in druid-datasketches extension

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 8:46 PM leerho <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The non-generic container sketches include the Theta sketch, the double
> valued Tuple sketch, the double valued Quantiles sketch, the float valued
> KLL and REQ sketches and the long valued FrequentItemsSketch.  Of these,
> the Theta family and our original Quantiles sketch already have Direct
> implementations and are already part of Druid.

Out of curiosity, do you know if anyone is working on integrating the
REQ sketch into Druid?

--dave

Re: ItemsSketch Aggregator in druid-datasketches extension

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
We are busy at the moment trying to get new releases of datasketches-memory
followed by a new release of datasketches-java out the door.  This pair of
releases will give us compatibility with JDK 8 through JDK 13.  After that,
we will work with the Druid team to update the datasketches adaptor in
Druid, followed by a Druid release that can take advantage of this new
capability.

In order to enable the REQ sketch for Druid, it will have to be carefully
updated to enable off-heap (Direct) operation.  Then the Druid datasketches
adaptor will need to be updated to accommodate the new, off-heap REQ
sketch.

As you can tell, this is quite a bit of work.  So contributions into this
effort would be greatly appreciated.  Interested?

Cheers,

Lee.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.