Posted to dev@mnemonic.apache.org by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org> on 2017/09/13 17:14:21 UTC

Learn from Equifax breach

One of our contributors told me that this breach is related to a
serialized object that Mnemonic has tried to avoid as below

"However, “for either vulnerability, the process is basically the same. The
attacker sends a specific HTTP request containing some special syntax.  In
one case, an OGNL expression.  In the other, a serialized object,” he said
in comments emailed to SC Media. “The Equifax Struts application would
receive this request, and get tricked into executing operating system
commands.”

The attacker can then “use these to take over the entire box – do anything
the application can do,” Williams said. “So, they probably stole the
database credentials out of the application, ran some queries, and then
exfiltrated the data to some server they control on the internet.”"

https://www.scmagazine.com/apache-struts-vulnerability-likely-behind-equifax-breach-congress-launches-probes/article/687955/

IMHO, from the technical view point, Mnemonic has nothing about how to
interact with UI layer. Theoretically, Mnemonic's linked durable objects
could be transferred between different layers to avoid SerDe, user code
makes use of those durable object for their own business logics.

Regarding the Durable Query Model (DQM), it has not yet been fully
implemented, we need to consider any possible injection and provide the
proper measure to prevent potential breaches.

Thanks!

Re: Learn from Equifax breach

Posted by Debojyoti Dutta <dd...@gmail.com>.
Ok will create a Jira and take it up.