Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by Andrzej Jan Taramina <an...@chaeron.com> on 2005/11/16 02:00:54 UTC

WSIF overhead when calling plain java?

I'm considering using WSIF as a generic service invocation framework for a
project I'm working on, specificially since it will allow us to initially
implement "services" using simple java objects, but down the road to replace
certain functions, like an initial hardcoded process with a more
robust/flexible BPEL implementation.

This also leads me to think that we could use WSIF as a decoupling mechanism
between most major components in the system, since doing so would give us
massive deployment flexibility down the road, and system reconfiguration
without requiring any code recompiles (ie. just change the WSDL).  Sort of a
"poor man's" JBI.

So I'm curious how large the invocation overhead is when using WSIF to call
plain Java class methods?

Is it big enough to be a concern, or is it small enough that I can ignore it
safely?  I'll probably turn on service caching, to avoid the WSDL processing
for each call, which should eliminate a lot of overhead after the first call.

Any/all insights into this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com