Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com> on 2011/04/14 16:39:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release 0.10

Hello, everyone.  The blocker issue raised earlier this week has been
resolved.  There's more information, including release notes, at the
release page[1].

The proposed final distribution of Qpid 0.10 is available from the link
below.  It's from revision 1091571 of the 0.10 branch.

   http://people.apache.org/~astitcher/dist/qpid-0.10/

Andrew has graciously generated and signed this distro.  It therefore
meets the requirements for a vote.

If you favor releasing this distribution as Qpid 0.10, vote +1.

If you are aware of problems that ought to prevent this distribution from
being released, vote -1.

Thanks,
Justin

---
[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.10+Release

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 04/14/2011 03:39 PM, Justin Ross wrote:
> Hello, everyone.  The blocker issue raised earlier this week has been
> resolved. There's more information, including release notes, at the
> release page[1].
>
> The proposed final distribution of Qpid 0.10 is available from the link
> below. It's from revision 1091571 of the 0.10 branch.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~astitcher/dist/qpid-0.10/
>
> Andrew has graciously generated and signed this distro. It therefore
> meets the requirements for a vote.
>
> If you favor releasing this distribution as Qpid 0.10, vote +1.
>
> If you are aware of problems that ought to prevent this distribution
> from being released, vote -1.

+1

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
The instructions cover an upload-only use of Ivy, which is something I have
been investigating and plan to put in place so we can publish the artifacts
to Nexus.

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

One thing I'm not clear on. Since the genpom stuff has been fixed (See
QPID-1916 - thx, Robbie and Emmanuel) are we going to disseminate
Maven artifacts as part of 0.10 now? That would definitely be nice to
have. I believe we can upload to
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/ once we
have the approved release artifacts, but I'm not sure of the correct
process. I can find out if nobody else knows?

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? edinburgh : +44 7582 293 255

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Cliff Jansen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Cliff

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
On 04/27/2011 07:04 AM, Gordon Sim wrote:

> iframes are even better for this case - what about using them?

iframes would probably hurt our Google ranking.

See this:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=72746#4"

> IFrames are sometimes used to display content on web pages. Content
> displayed via iFrames may not be indexed and available to appear in
> Google's search results. We recommend that you avoid the use of
> iFrames to display content. If you do include iFrames, make sure to
> provide additional text-based links to the content they display, so
> that Googlebot can crawl and index this content.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 27/04/2011 18:01, Rajith Attapattu a écrit :
>
>> Well we don't have a clear API or proper documentation to publish
>> something meaningful (at least on the client side).
>> IMO it will only confuse people and encourage them to use code that
>> can potentially change between releases.
>> (In the past this code has indeed been changed a few times between
>> releases.)
>
> The lack of Javadoc is a barrier of entry to people interested in
> contributing to Qpid.

For sure :)
I am not saying we shouldn't document - rather we shouldn't publish
something which is not documented properly !

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 27/04/2011 17:17, Rajith Attapattu a écrit :
>
>> Since we don't support any API other than the JMS API, we don't really
>> have any java doc to publish.
>
> That doesn't hurt to publish the javadoc even if you only support the JMS
> API. It's a very useful documentation to people hacking around the Qpid
> code, be it on the client or on the server side.

Well we don't have a clear API or proper documentation to publish
something meaningful (at least on the client side).
IMO it will only confuse people and encourage them to use code that
can potentially change between releases.
(In the past this code has indeed been changed a few times between releases.)

Rajith

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Can I kindly ask this thread move off the VOTE thread please ?

Many Thanks,
Marnie

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I have promoted the maven artifacts to the release repository, they are now
available at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases and
should get mirrored to the central repo imminently.

You are editing the right file Justin, but it looks like the live version
was updated without updating the source file accordingly (see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1088983). The live
version is the example to follow when updating the source, it was updated to
remove the older release info after some discussion between the PMC
following a mail from infra about removing old artifacts from the mirrors.
Only the latest version should get a specific call out on the download page
since its what we recommend people use, but anything older is always
available in the archives. Once the 0.10 release is mirrored, announcements
made, website updated etc then we should probably remove 0.8 from the dist
mirrors fairly promptly this time.

Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
All,

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
While the root cause for both these items have been present in 0.8
(and perhaps before for QPID-3216) these issues are *more likely* to
happen in the current release than in 0.8
In that sense they are regressions, and certainly from a users pov of they are.

I think recent changes in the client and broker may have made these
issues happen more likely.
While r1092510 may have caused QPID-3216 to happen more readily there
may be other triggers that can cause this as well.
(Also please note that r1092510 is actually the correct behaviour and
if thats causing a deadlock then it's a concern.)
Same can be said for QPID-3214.

The fact remains that we do have deadlocks lying around in the code
and they have a better chance of happening with 0.10 !
Having said that I agree with Marnie that we should not be holding up
the release, as fixing these issues safely may not be possible within
the next week or so.
(We need to release note both these issues, if we go ahead with the release.)

Regards,

Rajith

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
Marnie, that sounds quite reasonable to me.

Justin

RE: [VOTE] Release 0.10

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
That seems reasonable to me, Marnie.