Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Brian <ok...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/21 18:19:47 UTC

Multi Search vs reader?

I've been doing some reading and I'm a bit confused,
Could you help me clear this up.

I have roughly 12 indexes available at any 1 time for
a search. I had assumed since I had multiple indexes,
that meant I need to perform a MultiSearch. However
several people have mentioned MultiReader. What's the
difference, and what's the benefit of one over the
other??

Thanks, Brian

Re: Multi Search vs reader?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 3/21/06, Brian <ok...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had assumed since I had multiple indexes,
> that meant I need to perform a MultiSearch. However
> several people have mentioned MultiReader. What's the
> difference, and what's the benefit of one over the
> other??

A MultiSearcher can search over Searchables, which can be remote, etc.
A MultiReader is for local indicies.  When you open an IndexReader or
IndexSearcher on a single index with multiple segments, MultiReader is
actually used under the covers.  You can also instantiate a
MultiReader with multiple IndexReaders.

An IndexSearcher with a MultiReader (when you can use it) should be
faster and more efficient than a MultiSearcher across multiple
IndexSearchers.

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, The Open Source Lucene Search Server