Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2020/04/24 17:43:46 UTC

Building libtcnative with MinGW32

Folks,

has anyone ever built libtcnative with MinGW32? I have build (lib)curl a
fair amount of times with ease with MinGW. Download all the SDK along
with minimal VS is overkill for such a small lib.
How do you build on Windows? Is anyone interested in this? Should we
also consider building with CMake?

Michael

Re: Building libtcnative with MinGW32

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2020-04-24 um 19:52 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> On 24/04/2020 18:43, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> has anyone ever built libtcnative with MinGW32? I have build (lib)curl a
>> fair amount of times with ease with MinGW. Download all the SDK along
>> with minimal VS is overkill for such a small lib.
>> How do you build on Windows?
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Building+the+Tomcat+Native+Connector+binaries+for+Windows
>
>> Is anyone interested in this? Should we
>> also consider building with CMake?
>
> The build process needs to build a single binary (OK and second one with
> OCSP enabled unless we enabled that be default) that:
>
> - works on all currently supported Microsoft Windows operating systems
>
> - works on a clean install of the base operating system with zero
>    additional libraries, run-times, etc.
>
> The hoops we currently jump through in the build process are primarily
> to ensure this last point so the binary isn't dependent on one of the
> .net run-times or similar.
>
> If there is a simpler way to achieve the same result, that would be a win.

Thanks,

I will see whether we can provide a CMake-based build in the longterm
also since this is way easier on Windows than fiddling with other cruft.
libserf prodivers now a CMake-based builds and they too require libapr
and libssl/crypto. I need to see whether one can join forces.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/04/2020 18:43, Michael Osipov wrote:
> Folks,
>
> has anyone ever built libtcnative with MinGW32? I have build (lib)curl a
> fair amount of times with ease with MinGW. Download all the SDK along
> with minimal VS is overkill for such a small lib.
> How do you build on Windows?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Building+the+Tomcat+Native+Connector+binaries+for+Windows

> Is anyone interested in this? Should we
> also consider building with CMake?

The build process needs to build a single binary (OK and second one with
OCSP enabled unless we enabled that be default) that:

- works on all currently supported Microsoft Windows operating systems

- works on a clean install of the base operating system with zero
  additional libraries, run-times, etc.

The hoops we currently jump through in the build process are primarily
to ensure this last point so the binary isn't dependent on one of the
.net run-times or similar.

If there is a simpler way to achieve the same result, that would be a win.

Mark