Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Dick Eastin <de...@compuflex.com> on 2002/12/10 03:04:29 UTC

More on mail hang.

Hi,

I originally reported a mail hang up  with the Subject: "Intermittant mail hang", in:
http://www.mail-archive.com/james-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg03322.html

I updated from 2.0a3 to 2.1a1.  Same problem.

Here is an earlier report of the same problem under the Subject: "Can't retrieve Email":
http://www.mail-archive.com/james-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg02773.html

These are both cases of using the file system mail repository.  Though not proven by test, the indications are that mail prior to a shutdown of James is not recognized in the next instance of it.

1) Is there any plan for a fix ?

2) In the interim, is there a workable technique for moving the hung mail, say to spool, or outgoing, for reprocessing ?

Thanks,
Dick

RE: More on mail hang.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> 1) Is there any plan for a fix ?

There is talk of writing a new file system archive for v3.  Personally, I
would love to deprecate it entirely, but I know that some people want the
option of using the file system.

> 2) In the interim, is there a workable technique for moving the hung mail,
> say to spool, or outgoing, for reprocessing ?

Not easily at the moment.  It is a known issue to resolve.  How much do you
have?

I really urge people to use a db or dbfile protocol.

	--- Noel