Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> on 2018/04/24 10:11:04 UTC

Re: Is an incubating project allowed to release if it didn't followApache way.

Hi, Bertrand

SkyWalking didnot face this situation.

This is a question only. Thanks for replying. I think my understanding about this is allowed, is right.😃

 Sheng Wu
Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the explanation.
Can we add some description about it on the board report?
I just went through all the prior board reports[1] I didn't found anything
about it.

[1]https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Weex

Willem Jiang

          http://jnn.iteye.com  (Chinese)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 4:46 AM, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:
> ....in SkyWalking, we took almost 1 month to release our first version...

Do not despair, that's not unusual ;-)

Depending on where a podling comes from, it can take quite a while to
adjust things to be compatible with Apache licensing and release
requirements. But doing that cleanly makes things much easier later!

-Bertrand

Re: Is an incubating project allowed to release if itdidn'tfollowApache way.

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Adam.

Hi, thanks for helping. The answer is very clear to me, and I could provide some feedback now.

I understand it is very hard to resolve license issues, in SkyWalking, we took almost 1 month to release our first version.

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From:  "Adam Feng"<cx...@gmail.com>;
Date:  Wed, Apr 25, 2018 10:40 AM
To:  "general"<ge...@incubator.apache.org>;

Posted by Adam Feng <cx...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com>.
Hi, Bertrand

Point taken, Thanks for help.

Sheng Wu

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu...@foxmail.com> wrote:
> ...I think my understanding about this is allowed, is right.😃...

I'd prefer saying "it is not forbidden" ;-)

It depends on the circumstances and has to be done in a way that makes
it *very* clear that it is a temporary situation, Apache marks must
not be abused etc.

I think you should work on this with your mentors and maybe setup a
page on your website that explains what's going on - this list can
provide advice if needed but I think it's best if your mentors can
help with that.

-Bertrand