Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by sa...@c2.org on 1996/04/04 21:49:12 UTC

those nasty file descriptors

	I got a call from someone running Solaris and 1.0.3 with about
110-120 virtual hosts, two logfiles per virtual host, who is having
file descriptor problems. I had him make sure setrlimit was setting
the max # of filedescriptors properly, so i beleive that the max#
being set with setrlimit is about 8000.
	Doing a truss, it turns out that the filedescriptors that are
being returned is about 250, etc. This makes me suspicious to think
that an fd is being stored in a char rather than an int. He said he'd
watch carefully to see exactly when it fails.
	Now I seem to recall some discussion of fd's being stored in
the wrong data type, but I thought that was fixed. I'm a bit confused.
thoughts?

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net