Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/03/13 04:58:20 UTC

[VOTE] Promote Compress to Commons Proper

Hi all,

since I'm unsure whether a PROPOSAL is needed for existing sandbox
components as old as compress I tried to be save and created one based
on the old Jakarta template:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/PROPOSAL.txt?view=markup&pathrev=753102

RAT only flags a few test input files as files with missing licenses.

The vote will run for a week.

Stefan

-- ballot --

The compress component shall become a proper Commons component:

[ ] +1 Yes
[ ] -1 No

Re: [VOTE] Promote Compress to Commons Proper

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-03-13, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/PROPOSAL.txt?view=markup&pathrev=753102

> The compress component shall become a proper Commons component:

> [X] +1 Yes
> [ ] -1 No

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Promote Compress to Commons Proper

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Niall Pemberton
> <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +0, no cycles for [compress] here either ATM.
>>
>> I make the same point to you I made to Henri. If people had voted this
>> way on the SCXML promotion then it would never have got out of the
>> sandbox (and that would have been a shame IMO).
>>
> <snip/>
>
> Yes, that would have been a shame IMO as well ;-)
>
> What you say above may be correct -- its hard to play out what-if
> scenarios. But its relatively easier to recap what actually happened.
> Since [scxml] is mentioned, lets use it as a data point:
>
> <history>
> The first vote for promotion failed (in fact, it got a -1 from mvdb
> because the vote wasn't getting any +1s ;-).
>
> Few months later, in the second vote for promotion, bayard expressed
> an opinion similar to what he said here (he posted a +0 initially):
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/rzrvfn6q2x472yni
>
> In that sense, I'd say bayard is being consistent.

I disagree in the SCXML vote he says "I'd like to hear a few
committers who are committing to following scxml" compared to "I don't
plan to be involved...so +0" in this vote.

> That was followed immediately by some expression of interest and
> commitment from dion:
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/zewkyss4sqonz2fd
>
> and interest from craigmcc as well (with an initial +0 for a similar reason):
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/quidcdy33geabzml
>
> These two opinions (along with my own) precipitated some votes in
> favor resulting in a successful vote.
> </history>
>
> I believe we've said in order for a component to be promoted we are
> looking for some expression of "commitment" (in quotes for obvious
> reasons) from folks to mitigate the risk of thrown over the wall and
> quickly orphaned components. I also believe we've had folks voting
> differently (while some may +1, others tend to +0). I think thats
> fine.

Yes I agree this is a valid concern for any promotion vote - but thats
not what Henri said and I think my point is still valid that if all
PMC members only voted +1 on promotions of components they plan to
contribute to then the sandbox may as well be shut down. Fortunatly
thats not the case so far in this vote.

Niall

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
+1 knowing that most ad-hoc attempts to implement archive handling is
broken ... :-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to add a comment to my vote :) Compress seems to have a
momentum at the moment from several committer and contributors. I
haven't been looking at the quality of patches/contributions submitted
but I would hope that the committers involved would be looking to
propose people to become committers.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Meikle <lo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
+1, it has currently more traffic and community support than some of the
proper components ;-)

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
+1
Oliver

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> The compress component shall become a proper Commons component:

[x] +1 Yes

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Promote Compress to Commons Proper

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> since I'm unsure whether a PROPOSAL is needed for existing sandbox
> components as old as compress I tried to be save and created one based
> on the old Jakarta template:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/PROPOSAL.txt?view=markup&pathrev=753102
>
> RAT only flags a few test input files as files with missing licenses.
>
> The vote will run for a week.
>
> Stefan
>
> -- ballot --
>
> The compress component shall become a proper Commons component:
>
> [ ] +1 Yes
> [ ] -1 No

+1

Luc

Re: [VOTE] Promote Compress to Commons Proper

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1

Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since I'm unsure whether a PROPOSAL is needed for existing sandbox
> components as old as compress I tried to be save and created one based
> on the old Jakarta template:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/compress/trunk/PROPOSAL.txt?view=markup&pathrev=753102
>
> RAT only flags a few test input files as files with missing licenses.
>
> The vote will run for a week.
>
> Stefan
>
> -- ballot --
>
> The compress component shall become a proper Commons component:
>
> [ ] +1 Yes
> [ ] -1 No

Dennis Lundberg