Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Peter Schrott <pe...@bluerootlabs.io> on 2022/04/06 15:19:29 UTC

Missing metrics in Flink v 1.15.0 rc-0

Hi there,

I just successfully upgraded our Flink cluster to 1.15.0 rc0 - also the
corresponding job is running on this version. Looks great so far!

In the Web UI I noticed some metrics are missing, especially "Records
Received", "Bytes Sent" and "Records Sent". Those were shown in v 1.14.4.
See attached screenshot.

Other than that I noticed, when using
org.apache.flink.metrics.prometheus.PrometheusReporter , the taskmanager on
which the job is running does not report the metrics on the configured
port. Rather it returns:

➜  ~ curl http://flink-taskmanager-xxxxxx:xxxx/
curl: (52) Empty reply from server

The other taskmanager reports metrics.

The exporter is configured as followed:

# Prometheus metrics
metrics.reporters: prom
metrics.reporter.prom.class:
org.apache.flink.metrics.prometheus.PrometheusReporter
metrics.reporter.prom.port: xxxxxx

Is this a known issue with flink 1.15 rc0?

Best, Peter

[image: missingmetricsinui.png]

Re: Missing metrics in Flink v 1.15.0 rc-0

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.
Hi,

Flink 1.15 has developed a new feature to support different sink pre- and
post-topologies[1].  New metrics e.g. NumRecordsSend has been developed to
measure records sent to the external system.  Metrics like "Bytes Sent" and
"Records Sent" measure records sent to the next task. So, in your case, it
is expected to be 0.

There are some further improvements that need to be done on the WebUI.
Task[2] has been created.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-191%3A+Extend+unified+Sink+interface+to+support+small+file+compaction
[2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-27112