Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Lu <ML...@7thonline.com> on 2005/05/19 22:37:16 UTC

[users@httpd] how does apache implement request forwarding

When a request comes in does apache wait till the whole request body comes
from the client then forward it to tomcat or apache forward the request as
soon as it receives the request header while the client is still
transferring the request body?
I ask this because we have EOFException from the tomcat side from time to
time when the client side applet try to send an object over the
URLConnection.  And tomcat raises this exception around 5 mins later after
it got the request.  Timeout in httpd.conf is set to 300 secs.  So my theory
is that apache closes its connection to client after timeout is reached and
then raises the EOFException at the tomcat side.  But my theory is invalid
if apache forwards the request after it receive everything from the client.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: [users@httpd] how does apache implement request forwarding

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 5/19/05, Michael Lu <ML...@7thonline.com> wrote:
> When a request comes in does apache wait till the whole request body comes
> from the client then forward it to tomcat or apache forward the request as
> soon as it receives the request header while the client is still
> transferring the request body?
> I ask this because we have EOFException from the tomcat side from time to
> time when the client side applet try to send an object over the
> URLConnection.  And tomcat raises this exception around 5 mins later after
> it got the request.  Timeout in httpd.conf is set to 300 secs.  So my theory
> is that apache closes its connection to client after timeout is reached and
> then raises the EOFException at the tomcat side.  But my theory is invalid
> if apache forwards the request after it receive everything from the client.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure it depends on
the method you use to connect apache httpd to tomcat (there are
several choices).  And I'm also sure that you'd get a more
knowledgable crowd if you asked on a tomcat mailing list.

Joshua.