Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/21 10:56:19 UTC

a question on jmx solr exposure

Hello list,

This might be not the right place to ask the jmx specific questions, but I
decided to try, as we are polling SOLR statistics through jmx.

We currently have two solr cores with different schemas A and B being run
under the same tomcat instance. Question is: which stat is jconsole going
to see under solr/ ?

>From the numbers (e.g. numDocs of searcher), jconsole see the stats of A.
Where do stats of B go? Or is firstly activated core will capture the jmx
"pipe" and won't let B's stats to go through?

Dmitry Kan

Re: a question on jmx solr exposure

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > > Well, we don't use multicore feature of SOLR, so in our case SOLR
: > instances
: > > are just separate web-apps. The web-app loading order probably then
: > affects
: > > on which app gets hold of a jmx 'pipe'.

A feature was added in SOLR-1843 specificly to help address this potential
collision, by allowing you to override the "rootName" used in your <jmx />
declaration (by default it's "solr/${corename}") but looking at the issue
now i see it was only committed to trunk...

...even though this looks like a fairly straight forward candidate to
merge back to 3x.  i'll look into it.

-Hoss

Re: a question on jmx solr exposure

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
That's absolutely right. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Serba <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Solved by exposing jmx only on one of the cores, as it is of a more
interest than the other one.

Dmitry

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> This might be not the right place to ask the jmx specific questions, but I
> decided to try, as we are polling SOLR statistics through jmx.
>
> We currently have two solr cores with different schemas A and B being run
> under the same tomcat instance. Question is: which stat is jconsole going
> to see under solr/ ?
[...]

Have not tried this, but each core has a separate solrconfig.xml.
Thus, you could specify a different JMX setup for each, e.g., by
changing the name, or port.

Regards,
Gora