Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Eje Svensson <ej...@optimalsolutions.se> on 2015/07/27 16:40:05 UTC

Setup questions for mahout with spark

Hello,

I'm planning to setup a system with mahout and spark and would like some
opinions regarding what versions of the components to use.

The target system is a redhat enterprise linux box.

What I would like to know are:
* What version of java people is using, jre-1.7.0-openjdk ?
* Should I use last final binary mahout-distribution-0.10.1 or compile the
last git head ?
* What matching spark version and with what backend engine should I use?

Thanks in advance,
Eje Svensson

Re: Setup questions for mahout with spark

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.
(1) all i ever used with spark is Oracle jvm.
(2) take the head of either master or 0.10.x branch. the heads there are
some ~30-odd bug fix issues apart from 0.10.1 release, we really should've
released 0.10.2 and 0.11.0 by now but i guess end of summer is a slow
season.
(3) If you want to use spark 1.2.x take 0.10.2-snapshot (0.10.x) and if you
use spark 1.3 take 0.11.0-snapshot (master). Spark 1.2.x corresponds to cdh
5.3 and spark 1.3.x is cdh 5.4 (to the best of my knowledge).