Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dima Retov <di...@axisway.com> on 2006/11/01 19:46:27 UTC

How stable is tomcat

CS> John,

CS> John Gorkos wrote:
>>> differently.
>>>
>>> You said "per-context JNDI handles", not per-context JNDI DataSources.
>>> Where are you defining your datasource? In context.xml, or in server.xml
>>> with additional, per-context configuration in context.xml?
>>>
>>> Can you show us the configuration for your JNDI DataSource, including

How stable is tomcat with Sun's HotSpot JVM 1.5?

Right now we have apache servers that are up for 3 and 4 months.
So I guess apache 1.3 may works for months.

How stable is tomcat against apache or other webservers?

Would tomcat be able to work 1 year without restart?

I ask that because tomcat with eclipse became unstable twice today.
(May be it was happening because of debugging mode of JVM)

--
Best regards,
 Dima                            mailto:dima@axisway.com

Re: How stable is tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Dima Retov wrote:

>Thanks Dave.
>
>What version of JVM have you used?

I believe (not sure) it's 1.5.0_06 on the server; I'm running _07 on my
dev machine.  As Rainer mentioned, don't try to use hot deployment for
busy apps; I always stop tomcat for updates, so my updates tend to be
saved up and posted every few months.  As Rainer also mentioned, check
your memory usage for the first few weeks to be sure you don't have any
leaks.  I had a couple when that busy app first went into beta testing a
couple of years ago, and it wouldn't go more than a week or so without
running into out of memory errors..

Dave

Re: How stable is tomcat

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Concerning my experience: no stability issues with either 1.4.2 or 1.5,
as long as you stick to a reasonably new patch level (not the one, which
might be only a week old, but the newest one older than a month should
be perfect).

Re[2]: How stable is tomcat

Posted by Dima Retov <di...@axisway.com>.
Thanks Dave.

Re: How stable is tomcat

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
I also know a couple of instances which ran under high load for a couple
of months. Usually though the frequency for changes in the apps are
higher than that.

Be careful: I would avoid hot deployment in critical production.

Also: It's not totally unusual for apps to have memory leaks. So minotor
your memory usage in the first weeks to check, if it gets stable.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: How stable is tomcat

Posted by David Kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: How stable is tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Dima,

Please don't steal threads. Start a new one next time.

> How stable is tomcat with Sun's HotSpot JVM 1.5?
>
> How stable is tomcat against apache or other webservers?

They are not directly comparable (Apache httpd and Tomcat) as Tomcat
does things Apache httpd cannot do, and vice versa.

> Would tomcat be able to work 1 year without restart?

My current longest running Tomcat instance was started on May 13th of
this year (running Tomcat 4.1.30 and Java 1.4.2_04 on Linux). The only
reason it hasn't run longer than that is because we perform semi-regular
releases of new features.

With a well-written application, Tomcat can run forever.

-chris