Posted to users@marmotta.apache.org by Brent Shambaugh <br...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/23 17:32:31 UTC

Setting up basic auth security with Marmotta-3.4.0-SNAPSHOT

Thanks Sergio for your help so far. Gary and I got Marmotta
3.4.0-SNAPSHOT running with Postgres. Unfortunately we were not able
to use Basic Auth through the web interface or through curl. We tried
admin for the username and pass123 for the password. Any ideas how to
get this set up anyone? Thanks all.

-Brent

Re: Setting up basic auth security with Marmotta-3.4.0-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Gary Bickford <ga...@gmail.com>.
We finally got this working.  Yep, we're beginners WRT Java and
Marmotta.  We have tried the cURL and other methods but none of them
worked.  Watching the system-config.properties file, the security, I
noticed that as soon as I went to the users page, the parameter
security.configured was flipped from false to true before I tried doing
anything.

But we still had a working production server running, and I had this
thought (finally!) to look at the differences between the
system-config.properties files for that server and the 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT
test we are trying to get running.  And ... I found a significant
difference.  There are some additional lines in the production server's
file:

    user.admin.pwhash = :sha1::<hash removed for mail list>
    user.admin.roles = editor
    user.admin.roles = manager
    user.admin.roles = user

So I added those lines to the test server's system-config.properties,
and we were able to log in as admin using the known password on the
production server.  We were then able to both add another user and post
new data into the system.

So, now we have the testbed running, we can work on the original issue -
thanks all. :)

For reference to other newbies who may have wondered how to update
Marmotta, I never saw this in any documentation, but overall it was
simple.  There is just one step missing in
http://marmotta.apache.org/installation.html#war - what to do with the
marmotta.war file.  It was also not quite in the expected place, due to
an ambiguity.  Starting from the top-level, it was in
./launchers/marmotta-webapp/target/marmotta.war.

The basic task to use the new version with the existing running
configuration was simply to copy that file to
/usr/share/marmotta/marmotta.war.  In our case, I moved the old
marmotta.war in that directory to marmotta-3.3.0.war, and moved the new
one to marmotta-3.4.0-SNAPSHOT.war.  I was originally going to symlink
the latter to marmotta.war but haven't tried that with a working system yet.

I _think_ but I'm not positive that this would have worked right off, if
our local test installation were still working before we started. We
neglected to check that!  Later I'll run a couple of tests switching
back and forth, if there's little or no chance of corrupting things.

I should note that we also got it working with PostgreSQL.  In that case
I had to go into pgAdminIII and give the marmotta user additional
privileges and make sure the marmotta PG password was correct, then
restart PostgreSQL.  But that's another topic.

GB

Posted by "Robson, Alan" <al...@viasat.com>.
Did you look at this: https://wiki.apache.org/marmotta/Maintenance
And this: http://marmotta.apache.org/platform/security-module.html

Sorry I don’t know if you’re a beginner - I don’t mean to imply that you wouldn't have already tried the curl command

Cheers

Alan