Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/01/21 03:22:38 UTC

XMLizing docs for Ant?

Hi,

I would like to start xmlizing the docs for ant. Most of the apache
projects use a dtd based on a massive simplification of docbook that was
originally created over at xml.apache.org. I have attached the DTD and a
sample document. This document format does not mandate that we use either
stylebook or anakia - both tools should be able to use it.

The reason for xmlizing is that it is generally easier to work with XML
documents (no more entity escaping - can use CDATA when giving example
tasks). The actual desciption of tasks can be converted to XML later and we
can use a new DTD to describe the process.

I would like to initially work with stylebook as I know it but if we want
to later we can switch to Anakia. I am sure Jon will be willing to help
with that ;) (he was original dev of Anakia I believe). So as not to
disturb the release process I would like to move the building to
proposal/xml-docs and work from there until it is ready to be moved across
to main section.

Thoughts?

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 09:51  20/1/01 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>The Jakarta-site2 module is fully documented and even comes with an
>"example" project website and is quite painless to use.
>
><http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html>
>
>My only concern is that if you decide to not use the jakarta-site2
>dependency that you acknowledge that you will agree to maintain the same
>look and feel of the primary Jakarta site for consistency reasons.

Not a problem as I will end up maintaining the Avalon one aswell.
Cheers,

Pete

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 1/21/01 7:33 PM, "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <si...@fitch.net> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity (and because I'm to lazy to RTFM), does the
> stylebook/anakia approach that you are proposing support the use of
> images? The reason that I ask as I'm looking down the road to an
> Antidote manual, which would probably benefit from screen shots.
>
> sim

Huh? "support the use of images"?

Take a look at jakarta.apache.org. That HTML is all built with Anakia.

-jon

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 1/21/01 7:04 PM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> yep for static images. Not sure about dynamic ones from the XML images
> formats thou. For that we would have to move to Cocoon2 which is
> considerably more complex.

when creating your designs, please please please take into consideration the
fact that apache.org gets > 3 million hits/day and most of those are to the
xml.apache.org project because of the fact that the current layout there has
a bazillion images all over the place...in other words, a major waste of
bandwidth and cpu for the server.

-jon

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <si...@fitch.net>.

--
Mustard Seed Software
mailto:simeon@fitch.net

Re: XMLizing docs for Ant?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 1/20/01 6:22 PM, "Peter Donald" <do...@apache.org> wrote:

> I would like to initially work with stylebook as I know it but if we want
> to later we can switch to Anakia. I am sure Jon will be willing to help
> with that ;) (he was original dev of Anakia I believe). So as not to
> disturb the release process I would like to move the building to
> proposal/xml-docs and work from there until it is ready to be moved across
> to main section.

I really don't care what tool people use to do the transformation.